Fire surround/Gas cooker

I have an opening into which I shall be placing a gas range style conventional cooker. The edges of the opening will pretty much butt up to the sides of the cooker.

What materials can I construct the fire surround from that would be legal and safe?

Wood would look nice, but is it a complete no-go?

Assuming so, what other materials could I use? Can you get metal fire surrounds made to size?

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I would use stainless steel, or ceramic or stone tiles. Tiles might crack in extreme heat. Most areas have a catering s/s fabricator that deals in second-hand chip ranges and the like.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

It must look traditional. Stainless steel is out. Matt cast iron (at least in appearance) might be doable.

I don't know why I didn't think of stone tiles. I hadn't even considered it. Most of the internals of the opening will be in ceramic tile. The flooring is riven slate. The worktops are granite.

I suspect that a tiled limestone of some description could be made to work. The problem is in "decorating it". I'll be wanting a shelf and corbels. I wonder if there are any suppliers of such stonework? I don't have a fortune to engage a stonemason on a commission.

There will be no extreme heat. At worst enough to melt plastic if the pans are positioned badly, but not enough to even scorch wood. However, if the rules say no wood, then no wood it is.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I think hammer-beaten copper would look good against dark colours like slate and granite - unless you think it would look too Ye Ollde Inne horse-brassy.

Lacquer might not last long with heat, so occasional polishing required.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

you should check manufacturers instructions for clearances , the normally give you some informatio

-- Tony

Reply to
Tony