Fire escape ladders/ropes/descenders/ ...

Many years ago the fire service responded to a house fire in a house with two adults and two children. We found the family dead behind the locked front door. The door key, which neighbours later told us was usually on a shelf by the door, was found under the fathers body.

I am a great supporter of final exit doors which cannot be locked from inside.

Reply to
Peter Parry

That certainly accords with my recent experience of trying to contact emergency services. I got the distinct impression that the emergency services consider using the internet to find out *anything* regarding location as unsporting.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

The control operators PCs in the county I have dealings with are restricted to a handful of websites (environment agency, met office etc) ... though they do have other PCs in the control suite with full internet access.

Reply to
Andy Burns

My ancient Satnav will take a variety of them (I can't remember which off hand, although it definitely does DMS and I'm pretty sure it does both decimal minutes and decimal degree options, plus OS.

It is appalling that emergency service operators don't have a mapping system that can take any of the various options as a standard piece of software running all the time.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Good points but you'd have thought by now that there would be a standardised location system that for instance could be incorporated in a mobile that when you made a 112 or 999 call then that info was transmitted to the emergency services so they'd know exactly were you are rightaway without any fuss to which standard you were using?..

This what three words system seems over complicated for what it is there are plenty of GPS enabled apps for mobiles indeed car sat navs should have an located emergency option easy to get to when needed that uses probably the simplest and that in my mind is decimal Lat and Long

Ever two letter NGR with six digits is good to within a 100 metres accuracy much better then to trying to get a street address or Postcode what Wally dreamt that up?.

Reply to
tony sayer

BT provide data via the EISEC system ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

AMLit seems?..

AML was developed in the United Kingdom by British Telecom, EE Limited, and HTC as a solution to problematic caller location in emergencies.[2] When a person in distress calls the emergency services with a smart- phone where AML is enabled, the telephone automatically activates its location service to establish its position and sends this information to the emergency services via an SMS.[3] The services uses either a global navigation satellite system or WiFi depending on which one is better at the given moment. It was estimated that this technique is up to 4000 times more accurate than the previously used system.[4] AML is being implemented in the UK by an increasing number of smart-phone manufacturers and mobile network operators: BT, the mobile networks EE, O2 and Three, together with Apple Inc., HTC, Sony, Alcatel, and Samsung handsets, have already successfully implemented AML.[5]

Reply to
tony sayer

Never heard that term, I just setup the firewall rules to allow servers to reach EISEC servers; supposedly for mobiles it transmits a co-ordinate with major/minor radii of an ellipse that the phone is within, and if it's from an eCall SIM embedded in a car it gives the VIN, reg number, make, model, colour of the vehicle ... but I've never snooped at the data, so not sure if that's fully populated.

Reply to
Andy Burns