Fire Engine and chains

why do fire engines have chains hanging underneath? Static discharge?

Reply to
JohnP

Automatic snow chains - yes really!

Reply to
Steve Walker

Amazing !

Reply to
Robert

Robert snipped-for-privacy@invalid.invalid wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

Blimey!

Reply to
JohnP

JohnP snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com wrote in news:XnsAD22E54ACFB71JohPnowherecom@

81.171.92.222:

Not what I was expecting!

JohnP

So obvious! Once you have seen it.

Reply to
newshound

What sort of person goes around looking under fire engines. I never knew they had them, would hey not rattle a bit? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

I have no idea. I presume that they don't rattle too much, as they are used not just on fire engines, but on many normal, American trucks. I only knew about them as I happened to see a video, on Youtube a few weeks ago, showing them working on a truck on a snow covered road.

Reply to
Steve Walker

I suspect you see them if you are following one.

Reply to
Bob Eager

"Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in news:s7960g$rmp$1 @dont-email.me:

Brian - it overtook me and I followed it for a while. They were very obvious swaying and it drive along.

Reply to
JohnP

It?s Rod. Save your breath (figuratively).

Tim

Reply to
Tim+