Fire doors

I am considering installing an internal fire door.

There a number available over the net (with a surprising range of prices) but almost all seem to doors only with nary a mention of door frame or casing.

So for an internal fire door does the frame/casing have to be anything special?

And is there anything obscure I need to take into account?

Reply to
Roger

Yes, it needs to be a fire rated frame. Howdens do them, though they are trade only. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Fire rated hinges, and possibly closers depending on the application.

Reply to
dom

In message , Roger writes

Dunno, but I have a couple of fire doors if you are close enough (watford) and want them

Reply to
geoff

The message from geoff contains these words:

Thanks Geoff but I think Keighley is a tad too far away and they wouldn't fit in or on my car anyway.

Reply to
Roger

The message

from " snipped-for-privacy@gglz.com" contains these words:

I had picked up on the fire rated hinges (although the illustration looked just like a standard steel hinge to me) but not the need for a closer. The application is between house and garage so I presume I will need a closer. (Door opening into the house. Two steps down into the garage).

Reply to
Roger

The message from alan@darkroom.+.com (A.Lee) contains these words:

Seems I may have to submit to whatever the local builders merchant has to offer then.

What is the nature of the improvement to the frame? An intumescent strip round the outside perhaps?

Reply to
Roger

Thanks for the input folks.

Reply to
Roger

I have a fire rated door into my garage. No closer. It's never had one, AFAICS.

Reply to
Huge