Fire door damper

Still suffers the problem of always accelerating the door to a rapid closure. I've a similar problem here, using one of the sprung arm closers. With it adjusted so the door is going fast enough to just latch it still goes BANG. I'm going to get a proper two stage closer.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Why not just disconnect it?

Reply to
Capitol

closer.

'Cause it's a fire door between two buildings. It can be held open by an electro magnetic holder that de-energises when the smoke alarms go off, the door then needs to close properly.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Interesting point...

Looking at Part B and flats as there's a nice little diagram:

Building Regs prior to 2013 required internal fire doors to have self closers. Post 2013 they did not - only fire doors onto shared escape areas, eg the front door of a flat.

One could argue that since BR no longer require self closers on some doors, there's no harm in removing them.

OTOH what would the insurers say if you had a fire that gutted the whole place instead of maybe being confined to one room and they discovered that when the place was built, BR required something that had later been removed on purpose.

I have no idea how that would play out.

However, in my younger days, I would confess to having removed all the self closers on my flat as they were a right PITA. However they were only little pins in sprung hinges so easily replaced.

In those days I tended not to think about stuff too hard - Oh happy days :)

Reply to
Tim Watts