Finish for brass plate for doorbell push

The wireless door bell has always been a bit dodgy because of stone walls I thought, but in fact I found that these things are not weather proofed and the batteries develop poor contacts.

Fortunately there's a wire in place so I've found the other end of it and the RF element is now in the attic connected to a wire from a good old fashioned bell push from the junk box. This will allow us to move the bell about the house if necessary.

I'm mounting the bellpush on a brass plate I've made and polished to 1000 grit.

How can I give this a 'weathered' rather than brightly polished look?

Thanks Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Huge

If my own door fittings are anything to go by, it'll look like crap after a couple of months :)

Reply to
Ivan Dobsky

I remember once I got one of these passivated by a local plating firm, it was quite attractive as it kind of had rainbow colours in some lighting conditions, of course if its going to need to look like brass then some kind of clear varnish would be my choice. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

No it will go a weird green colour if you do that!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Maybe you live on the coast then.... Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Decide what finish you actually want and look up the appropriate dangerous pickling solution to get that matt? surface finish.

I would be inclined to put a coat of yatch varnish on it. That lasts pretty well even in a marine environment with UV and salt spray about.

Reply to
Martin Brown

WAIT 4E4 for ZX aficionados.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Which will make those delivering things think it doesn't work so ignore it. They don't seem to need much of an excuse. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ah yes, I've had to respring my bell push several time due to the folk who seem to hit it with some kind of marshal arts skill leaving it not working for the gentle pusher. Another annoying thing about some cheap wireless bells are that the button is on a piece of conductive foamwhich sits on a piece of pcb with raised pieces between conductors. Then when it starts to perish and collapses the bell spontaneously goes of if wet gets inside. Very nice. Apparently they are designed for inside blocks of flats.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

For anyone wanting to maintain a polished finish on external brass/copper I can recommend this.

rbel

ANGLE GRINDER!

Reply to
Graham.