Weatherproofing a doorbell push

WD40

Reply to
harryagain

Hi all,

Got a wireless doorbell push that has stopped working - looks a little corroded inside. I'm going to clean it up and resolder any dodgy looking joints, once this is done what's the best way of preventing more corrosion? Some spray-on or brush-on gunk that is OK with electronics and plastics.

There's various options out there but can anyone recommend something in particular?

Reply to
Scion

In the old days the trick was to shove some grease in. I did this at my old house and 18 years later the doorbell push was still fine. It wasn't wireless.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

As well as water ingress, the real problem is that insufficient current passes through the contacts to keep 'em clean. For such jobs I use silicone grease which is completely insulating as well as being a water repellent. My tube is marked MS4 but I think it is now known as HS4 The same stuff is useful to apply a film onto car door seals so they dont freeze shut at this time of year.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Put it inside a condom?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Heh, there was a thread I started on a similar topic a few weeks ago - sear ch for 'failure mode' IIRC. I meant to post a followup on that thread, but I'll do if here instead.

One (reasonable) suggestion was that the cheap pushbutton switches inside f ailed due to not being specified for outside use. Certainly the ON resistan ce of mine pointed to that as a possible problem. I fitted some new switche s but to no effect.

It is also possible that the DIL switch setting the addresses is corroded. I haven't yet checked; since changing the switch didn't help, and since the LED is not going on when the button is pressed I am thinking it is a bigge r problem that is not going to be fixable.

My current half-plan is to use a 'proper' friedland bell push outside, wire d to one of these wireless units fitted just inside the porch to keep it dr y. Of course that doesn't help you if the entire point of buying one was th e 'no wires' part.

I haven't seen any wireless pushbuttons that appear fit for purpose with re gard to being 'British weather proof'

HTH Jon N

Reply to
jkn

I've been through about 6 wireless bell pushes, they all seem to be useless. I'm going back to the trusty wired from now on.

Reply to
Bod

I would've thought that *switch cleaner* would be more suitable.

Reply to
Bod

jkn put finger to keyboard:

It's not the DIL switch - there isn't one! There are tracks on the PCB for it but the selection has been made with a solder bridge.

I need to disassemble it properly (it is at a friend's house) and give it a good look.

Reply to
Scion

Bod put finger to keyboard:

Doesn't that evaporate without leaving a coating?

Reply to
Scion

Bob Minchin put finger to keyboard:

Good suggestion, thanks.

Reply to
Scion

Yes. Use switch cleaner first and then maybe some silicon grease applied, similar to applying it to car battery terminals (not on the contacts (of course).

Reply to
Bod

not very good on contacts

Reply to
charles

You would think that there are now so many people pissed off with the quality of these that a manufacturer would realised that price is not everything and market something of better quality. Many would pay a premium.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Agreed.

Reply to
Bod

I think my radio doorbell is at lest 10 years old. Yes, I bought Freidland.

Reply to
charles

You bought out Friedland!? :-) (seriously though)... you normally get what you pay for in this world.

Reply to
Bod

We have a Byron SX21. Its been fine for 6.5 years. Dunno is they are rated good or not.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Well, where "many" means "many of the uk.d-i-y lot"... ;-)

Reply to
Adam Funk

Every so often I contemplate installing some sort of door video-phone, for use especially at times when I'm more or less bed-bound and callers are a huge problem, but my front door faces SW on an exposed Scottish hill. Pretty much all units say to install in a sheltered location...

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts