Finding the BT Master socket

Some will say that the DSL signal has already traveled a considerable distance on twisted pair from the exchange so an extra 30m is not going to make any difference.

If it's a single run of good quality cable properly installed (no kinks or sharp bends, squidges under clips/staples etc), that probably holds true. But in the real world and not a home run things can be very different. Ethernet is designed to work 100% reliably over that distance, bung the router onto the line as soon as you can and use a single, good quality, microfilter for any POTS use at that point. It's reasonably well documented that multiple cheap microfilters and ad hoc extension wiring plays havoc with DSL rates.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

A single point of failure in a critical system, not good... You need at =

least one backup system, be that POTS dial up or ISDN. Provided over a different pair to the ADSL. If you want to be really paranoid you ask fo= r diversity routing and an out of area line as well.

ISDN lines, ISDN2e or Highway, terminate in their own dedicated boxes with a fair bit of electronics inside. I can't get my head around what you mean by the above.

BT don't supply ADSL over ISDN (or Highway) lines only POTS.

No, it'll cost you about =A325 + VAT. Chicken feed if your job relies on= it.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Hi Dave,

Yes, I have considered your idea. Cat6 cable from the modem in th garage to the office (about 30 meters away).

Is this better, signal wise, than running a good telephone/data cabl from the garage to the office and leave the modem in the office?

The latter does have the advantage of allowing me to use the wireles access point that comes with the router to service some rooms aroun the office but far from the garage (I could buy a new one). Also, i allows me to use other ports behind the router, like VoIP, USB, vide in the future.

In response to a different post, the wireless solution is not a option, the garage and the office are in two extreme corners of th house quite far apart, bridging access points would require too man and would be not very reliable.

Thanks,

Antonio

Dave Plowman (News) Wrote:

-- asalcedo

Reply to
asalcedo

Indeed. BT were quite happy to link the incoming to my CAT5 wired feed to their master sockets...with a nice new junction box..hidden in the loft ;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Jelly crimps

Ideally, you need a pair tracer, which injects a signal into the pair, and a pickup which senses the signal when placed near the pair. I picked mine up second-hand for £10 from a computer fair.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Hi John, that is exactly right. I know were the lines enter the house

The only problem now is working out which of them is my line.

The cable entering the house is a 5 pair one terminated in a junctio box where all 5 pairs are connected with those round semi-transparen plastic connectors.

Is there a way to identify the line without cutting the cable?

Thanks,

Antonio

Are you able to identify where your telephone lines enter the house If so, is the only problem working out which of them is which line?

-- Cheers,

John.

/=================================================================\ | Internode Ltd -

| |-----------------------------------------------------------------| | John Rumm - john(at)internode(dot)co(dot)uk | \=================================================================

-- asalcedo

Reply to
asalcedo

As a backup I have another 8Mbps connection from a different supplie

and dialup of course.

I also like better the idea of running an unfiltered cable from th NTE5 in the garage to the modem socket in the office.

The video port in the router is one of the 4 Ethernet ports that i reserved for that use via firmware.

The third alternative is to fit a filter to the new NTE5 in the garage and then run an unfiltered cable from there to a modem socket in the office, doing whatever you like with the (filtered) extension wiring. The links already given show how to do this.

The latter is my preferred solution, in most circumstances. One can then keep an eye on the flashing lights on the modem while taping on the computer in the office. One can even run a single cable with a pair for the unfiltered signal to a modem socket and a filtered pair and a half for a telephone socket, both in the same box.

The latter does have the advantage of allowing me to use the wireless access point that comes with the router to service some rooms around the office but far from the garage (I could buy a new one).

A wireless access port costs very little and can be best located in a suitable position, which is unlikely to be where a modem/router is best located.

Also, it allows me to use other ports behind the router, like VoIP,

Connect these to suitable telephone wiring.

USB,

Short distance slow connection. Useful for some things, but hardly worth changing the position of a router in order to use.

video in the future.

What connector does any video port have?

What backup do you have for a failed broadband connection?

-- David Hansen, Edinburgh I will *always* explain revoked encryption keys, unless RIP prevent me

asalcedo

Close to a miracle!

The BT engineer installed a master socket 10cm away from the junctio box in the garage.

Using the test socket inside, I am synching now at 12Mbps down and 1. up! big improvement.

I still need to test the line for a couple of days to check fo retrains/dropouts, but so far, it looks very encouraging.

The technical support from my broadband supplier (Be Un Limited) ha told me to leave the modem in the garage and run the 30m to my offic with a Cat5 network cable. Apparently this way I keep the whole speed And that is what I am going to do. .. Now I may be asking you fo advice on lifting floorboards!

Regards,

Antonio

asalcedo Wrote:

Reply to