Finding a desktop PC with minimum bloatware

Can't find anything to run my weather station, I suppose I will just have to continue to compile it.

Doesn't appear to be anything to allow usb over wifi either, just as well I can hack it to run after a power up, I suspect newbies wouldn't know how.

Reply to
dennis

e.g. Linux Mint.

download image Burn DVD insert in drive and boot.

when it says inmsall linux? just click on it.

I think you just need to give it your name, make up a password, tell it what your timezone is and tell it to eradicate windows completely.

One cup of coffee later and the thing is done. Click on te thi8ng that says updates and that=ts it patrchjed and ready after another 5 minutes.

Then you MAY want to install drivers for wifi or video, so run THAT and let it tell you what you prpbably need, and install them for you

WAY faster and easier than Windows.

Comes with a manual too.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not as easy as windows10 then, even the blind can install it! It talks to you to set it up. It only took about 15 mins on my laptop.

Works really well installing WiFi drivers without a network connection because you are trying to use WiFi.

Not a very good manual and you don't need one with windows.

Reply to
dennis

Yeah. I'll think of you everytime these obviously badly authenticated systems let another scammer call through to tell me that my BT internet line will be disconnected :-(

The generally use case is someone who will surf the net, send emails, use a printer, listen to music, use facebook, edit video.

Most linux distributions support all of that, and most have a less confusing unbloated GUI than the 'universal apps' and full screen 'edge' mess windows 10 has now become. I really want to turn that crap off!

I don't see how linux is "pretty bad". Get someone who knows what they are doing to install it, sort out (if) any hardware issues, and the end user experience is like anything else run out of the box. And it is different than Windows (or Mac), but in my view less troublesome.

Hacking kernals is a different use case, not common. One of your sore chestnuts... So you were involved as a dev, and have lost the interest in progressing?

With Linux, stop frugal dual booting, live CD running, or trying to run desktops on RPis, ye can now easily afford to spread out your experience to a whole machine (2nd user is fine - mine cost me £5) and then discover what a lot of folks are finding ...

Microsoft and Apple don't absolutely need to be in desktop computing for everything, and thankfully they aren't.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Lazy. 0/10.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

But it depends what you want to use it for. You want to run the adobe creative suite like we do here for teaching then forget linux. Most people that do pro photography or as enthusistic ameatures say that the gimp for linux is 10 years behind Pshot for PC/Mac.

As for easy to use well most users don't find it easy otherwise PC vendors would be selling PC's without windows and with linux which would also make it cheaper.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Second hand ones that are 4+ years old. One reason why macs are popular is because they don't age as badly as a windose laptop might. Just lok into cash converters and the like. The big advantage of PCs type is yuo don;t have to worry about virues that might be lurking on a SH PC.

Reply to
whisky-dave

That's not actually a function of SystemX but the IN services.

I don't have any of that full screen stuff. It didn't install it by default.

But,you don't appear to know how to configure win10 so you don't really have a true comparison. At least you run windows10 unlike the moaning philosopher.

No, Tony Blair bankrupted the company and I retired.

I have run it on whole machines but it doesn't have a driver for my colour laser or run fusion 360 so its a bit pointless.

But I do need windows to run some of my apps as they don't run on linux..

Fusion360, railmaster, my printer, outlook, and others.

I just run what is easiest for the job whatever the OS is. A good application hides the OS anyway so the only time you see it is when you choose an app and maybe open/save files.

Reply to
dennis

Not sure if they are still on sale, but don't make the mistake of buying a Win10 machine with a *tiny* SSD or eMMC, minimum I'd say 128GB preferably twice that, also minimum 4GB RAM, preferably twice that

Machines with 256GB+8GB in your budget are few and far between, but consider

It has "sub" full HD monitor, but I think that's par for the price.

take it out of the box, let it activate windows (be *certain* it says activated with a digital entitlement)

then download a copy of the Windows Media creation Tool, and use it to make a bootable USB stick, boot from that, delete all the existing partitions, install a clean copy of Win10, it will automatically re-activate without any pallaver of entering licence keys etc, no bloatware, as it's likely to be Home edition you buy rather than Pro, the App store will probably push a few "recommended" games to you, there's a way to stop them if they annoy you ... just ask later.

Reply to
Andy Burns

No its not. With Win10 the wifi and video is done in the original install and the update is completely automatic too.

Reply to
2987fr

And want to move stuff to and from their smartphone. Not so automatic with linux.

Trivially easy to do that.

Don?t need to do that with Win because the hardware comes with it preinstalled.

Not with moving stuff between your PC and smartphone.

And it is

Not with moving stuff between your PC and smartphone. And you never get the full integration between the Mac and iphone where you can answer an incoming call or text on what you happen to be using when it comes in either.

Reply to
2987fr

+1
Reply to
Andy Burns

Then you'll be paying over £100 for a genuine Win10 licence to go with it (and don't get fooled that anything cheaper is is legit).

Reply to
Andy Burns

Ebay X220T from Tier1 £99 plus cost of mSATA ssd Ebay X230T £140 + cost of ssd

Reply to
Bill

You may not worry about them, but they definitely exist. Not in the numbers they do for Windows, but they are there.

And second hand PCs are still cheaper than second hand Macs.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Hopw automatic do you want? I plug it in. The files are there. I use normal tools to move stuff on and off...

Yawn. How can I answer te phone on a compyer with mo microphone?

Its teh usual story. Apple - a company making products I never knew i didnt want and certainly don't need.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You mean fooled by Microsoft saying it is legit?

I have bought many cheap Win7 and win10 licences for about £20. I activate them with Microsoft. I buy them from a company called softwaregeeks and have been using them for over three years.

So in what way are they not legit?

Reply to
Paul Welsh

For others it's the lack of 'change control' (is it called) in the likes of OO/LO (compared wit MS Word) and for others it's iTunes etc.

For me it's things like the lack of support for car OBD ... the very thing an old laptop running Linux would be ideal for.

Quite, as when Linux finally got Steam (10 years after Windows) and has now got something akin to a GUI Control Panel and GUI utility that

*sometimes* handles drivers etc etc. I understand that some distros even offer an automatic update facility ... something I have been calling for for *years* because I know that few users will never get their machines updated without it happening for them.

I don't want Linux to be Windows (what would be the point in that), I want (and expect after all these years) for it to be as easy to maintain as Wndows.

Without a doubt it's getting better but so very slowly. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

You can build your own Docker image for the weather station. The benefit of scripting the OS setup and app compile means it makes it easier to repeat. This is the actual original purpose of Vagrant and Docker. It was only after using them in development that I realised I could use Docker to install and run standard, off the shelf, server apps on linux and RPi instead of performing a standard server provisioning.

When I first installed Asterisk, it took me ages to install the software under Linux, with Docker it takes minutes.

Reply to
Paul Welsh

More automatic than the below, particularly for the technoklutzes with their photos etc.

That doesn?t work with iphones.

It does have a mic.

Separate matter entirely to what others find useful.

Reply to
2987fr