Doctors routinely suggest that we eat less and exercise more.

Doctors routinely suggest that we eat less and exercise more. You see the number of people who don't follow those directions, and get negative consequences as a result. Whose fault is that, the doctors??

Reply to
davidp

In message <q434s7$kji$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, Graham. snipped-for-privacy@email.com writes

"There's more old dunks than there are old doctors, so I guess I'll have another round"

Reply to
Bill

Angle grinder?

Reply to
Andy Bennet

If the doctors stopped saying it we'd all be alright so it must be their fault.

Reply to
AnthonyL

When I was much slimmer than I am now, a doctor was rather annoyed when I told her I never exercised.

Exercise may have its benefits, but weight loss isn't one of them. People with nothing better to do work out how much exercise is required to burn off the calories in one digestive biscuit.

Reply to
Max Demian

A friend of mine lives in the Netherlands, and cycles a lot. She isn't exactly slim, as she admits.

The doctor told her that she should lose weight, and suggested jogging or cycling. She told him she already cycled, and had cycled the previous weekend.

"Ah, but how far?" he said. She replied "Just a 250km audax"

For her holidays she spent 11 days (I think) cycling from Stuttgart to Hell in Norway.

Reply to
Bob Eager

People vary, and statistical results don't necessarily apply to individuals. But there is really quite good evidence that some forms of exercise have good effects on the heart and blood pressure, and also help people to lose weight out of proportion to the actual calories consumed. One can speculate how exercise has that effect, but we don't need to know the answer to know that it is beneficial to many people.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

I realise that there are some benefits to exercise, but, unless you are a manual labourer or sportsman, any exercise is a "bolt-on" extra that is just a nuisance to most people.

Reply to
Max Demian

The problem with exercise is that it make me hungry.

Reply to
Paul Welsh

The last time I tried anything that amounted to some exercise I ended up with superficial thrombophlebitis and could barely walk for a week.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Hash House Harriers run to work up a thirst.

Reply to
charles

She burns so many thousands of calories that she can eat quite a lot and still 'win'.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Only 5% of those who attend A.A. recover, because the other 95% don't follow the directinos, [#1 of which is "KEEP COMING BACK!", & #2 is "DON'T PICK UP THE FIRST DRINK!"]. That ain't the fault of A.A., just as when people don't follow the doctors' suggestions, it ain't the doctors' fault.

Reply to
davidp

In many cases that's quite true. Sometimes they dispense advice that is unrealistic, daft or impossible.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Drunks are rather well known for finding any reason they can to persuade themselves it's OK to carry on drinking.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Like most religions.

Reply to
Max Demian

Do you think there's a differnce between drunks and alcoholics.

Apart from drunks not being a medical term.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Do you need the difference explained to you?

Is this a medical group now?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I know the differnce, an alcoholic is a medical term whether or not someone see's them as a drunk is up to the individual. Lots of alcoholics are tea-total and you won't see them drunk.

If you're gonna talk about something then you should know the terms and hopefully have some idea about what they mean.

Reply to
whisky-dave

That is an alcoholic in recovery, Dave. Do you understand the difference?

That is laughable from you.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)