Worcester Bosch Greenstar CDi classic

It ignites and runs but then shuts down. Error code is AE, meaning no flame detected. Just keeps repeating that. Ideas?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Dirty flame sensor electrode? Or an obscure issue that caught me out, the neutral supply was floating with respect to earth as I was running it from a UPS Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Blocked pilot light jet?

Reply to
Tufnell Park

Did you get this sorted Bill?

Reply to
Bob Minchin

No. Checked everything. Fitted a new circuit board; still doesn't work, in that I don't get as far as the original fault because now it won't even ignite. Trying a new gas valve Monday.

We have two 2.5kW radiators, three 2kW blow heaters, and a portable calor heater. And electric hot water as a back up. So f*ck it. Except the electric bill goes up £12 per day.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Emptied the condensate?

Reply to
ARW

Was there lots of sludge in the burner sump? If this builds up too high in the burner, it wont light properly. Some models have a flue pressure sensor and again it won't run if it thinks the flue is blocked.

Although it is not a solution but the various safety sensors are in a series, normally closed loop so you can short out each sensor one at a time and if you can get it to run, will indicate the nature of the fault but DONT leave it running like this, just use it as a diagnostic tool.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Did you check the silicone tubing from the fan to the pressure switch?

About 10 years ago we had a W-B boiler which kept cutting out after being on for a few minutes. The engineer changed the FFD and circuit board, but the fault persisted. The only thing which seemed to work for a while was adjusting the pressure switch sensitivity, but it wasn't a satisfactory fix as it was then out-of-spec.

By chance a 3mm split in the silicone tubing was discovered just where it fitted on to the metal tube of the pressure switch. Cutting off about

10 mm of the silicone tubing and replacing it on the pressure switch tube fixed the problem. We assumed that when the boiler had been on for a few minutes the metal tube expanded enough to force apart the split in the silicone, and the pressure switch detected it and turned the boiler off.
Reply to
Jeff Layman