Filling narrow deep holes in internal wall.

Hi,

I have removed some light switch metal boxes from an internal wall (block/plaster) and it has left some narrow deep holes (3cm wide and

3cm deep approx). What's a good way to fill these? I've got some general purpose plaster but I think the holes are too deep for this.

TIA, Mark

Reply to
Mark

Not sure exactly what you mean by "general purpose plaster" - there are different types, some of which are more suited to this purpose than others - but whatever, I expect whatever you have will work fine. Probably best to do it in two layers - let the first dry off before you apply the second.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Agreed (but it only needs to set, and not dry out before next layer). Bring the first layer up to a couple of mm short of the wall surface. It may shrink and crack, but that doesn't matter. The the final layer at only a couple of mm thick should then be fine.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I'd fill with quick set cement to about 3mm below the surface, let it go off then finish with one coat plaster.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Just about anything to fill, then bonding plaster and skim to make good.

A few bits of polystyrene or scrap Celotex wedged in is a good start, then slap a bonding coat over below finished level by about 3-5mm then skim..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thanks for the help. I'll try this - although, due to the narrowness of the hole, I'm not quite sure how I will make it stop 2-3 mm below the surface.

Cheers, Mark

Reply to
Mark

It's not an exact science! Just substitute "slightly" for "2-3 mm" and you'll be fine.

David

Reply to
Lobster

In message , Mark writes

If you really don't have a clue - use your dick

Reply to
raden

I wouldn't use yours - it's too small :-)

Mark

Reply to
Mark

I slapped a load of bonding on some old timber lath (patching the damage around a new loft hatch) and it sagged, so I clamped a scraper to a bit of 2x2 and used that to get a flat and evenly recessed surface for the finishing plaster.

Reply to
Rob Morley