Fence around a greenhouse

I've got a greenhouse (which i want to keep) , and a young son, who will soon be in the garden, obviously the two are not totally compatible. Hence I'm looking to build a fence around the greenhouse. Are there any official guide lines/regs. i was considering some kind of picket fence about 12 inches from the greenhouse. so if he does fall again the fence and his arms go through the fence they do not touch the glass

Any recommendations

Reply to
Cap'n Hannibal Kookypants

Electric fence? Automatic sprinklers? Dog patrols?

Reply to
Bruce

No regs, but look at the regs for balestrades/banisters etc. About spacing and so on. Good general idea.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , Cap'n Hannibal Kookypants writes

Razor wire - be cruel to be kind

Reply to
geoff

I would just clad the bottom part of the greenhouse with plastic sheet. Corrugated pvc roofing sheet would be cheapest. Clear polycarbonate would be strongest, while acrylic lies somewhere between the two, but has the advantage over polycarbonate of being inherently UV resistant.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

The Only different is if a hand goes though a banister there is no glass behind them to do further damage. Other wise i agree, don't want to get a head stuck, It was for the above reasons that if there were and special requirements for a green house. To precent the hand going through the fence and glass i an thinking about a 12 inch gap between the fence and green house.

Reply to
Cap'n Hannibal Kookypants

You forgot the claymores.

Reply to
dennis

At some point that fence will become a challenge and potentially a very dangerous item so close to the greenhouse. Corrugated plastic to at least

3' all round the base of the greenhouse, or even timber to the same height if you don't mind the loss of of light, would do the job.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Unobtainable outside a museum, and rust badly when left in the wet. Slivers of bamboo easier.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Then there are the rotating knives.

Reply to
Bruce

That won't stop the foot/cricket/golf balls breaking the glass though. After several smashed panes I acquired a stiff wire mesh fence panel which has done the job for the side - right up against the aluminium struts. We are in the process of replacing the glass panels with polycarbonate twinwall so the fence can go soon.

Reply to
Geo