Felt for shed roof?

That is his day job!

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

But you can make a reasonable guesstimate. 8' long, 6' wide shed with apex roof will need at least three 9' lenghts, plus a capping length. A roll is 8m or 26' so won't do it, 2 rolls will with spare.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Which bit of "people don't know the height of their sheds" didn't you understand?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Well unless all shed roofs have the same pitch you'll just have to guess too. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Which part of you may as well guess did you not understand?

Reply to
dennis

Should it be much of an issue, unless it is significantly larger than you have intimated? Ballpark, shed rooves are 45 degrees. To cover costs, call it 60 degrees and then use Pythagoras?

Reply to
Clot

Why?

60 is a special case where the sides of the triangle are all the same. 45 is easy too, just multiply by 1.42 to get the long side.
Reply to
dennis

We are not talking Isosceles here.

Hmm?

Though the answer would be the same wherever the 60/30 degree angle is, provide the vertical in this case was 90 degrees.

Reply to
Clot

IME small sheds use steeper pitches than large ones. Something 6x4 might be 45 deg, whereas 12x10 is more likely to be 20 deg.

Reply to
John Rumm

You could ask them how steep the roof is, then add a margin just in case.

For an apex roof:

say they say it is T degs, and W wide and D deep:

area = D x (2 x (W/2 / Cos T))

Allow a little for edges and overlaps - say a foot at each side, plus 4" per strip.

Reply to
John Rumm

Na, just a guess at the angle - very few will be more than 30 deg, when I built my first workshop I was going to do 30 degree - but it looked "wrong" - so I reduced it to 20 deg:

have a look at:

John Rumm

Shed manufacturers often quote height at eaves as 6' and height at apex as

6' 6" so this would seem to be a reasonable guideline for your measurement, unless the shed has an unusually high apex. The 6 inch difference between eaves and apex height is the missing figure for your Pythagoras calculations.

As a long term solution to such variable figures you might consider learning a bit of simple programming to give precise answers over a reasonable spread of values.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Alas John, most of my clients have enough trouble measuring the L & W, degrees would be completely beyond them :-)

Thanks for your post about the 20 degree pitch, that will help.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

leads to
which has some nice digrams with dimensions which I can work on.

Ta!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

My 16 foot wide one is 12.5 degrees, (but it has a proper roof not felt).

Its planning regs AFAICS, if its too tall its no longer a shed (or at least that's how it was before they changed the rules).

It doesn't help anyone get an exact figure for the number of strips though as they don't want to measure it and a 60 degree shed will need twice as many strips as a pent roof shed.

Reply to
dennis

Has anyone actually seen a garden shed with a 60 degree felt roof?

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Used to have a summerhouse..around about 1950 vintage - that was that steep.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I have seen one with about 60 on the front quarter and about 20 on the rear three quarters. That will take a bit of maths or a tape measure to work out how many strips.

Reply to
dennis

Reply to
Roger Mills