Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not cleanly, no.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

A sensible answer at last;!....

Reply to
tony sayer

How about a company of legally rated air rifles, firing-squad style?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I can see it now. "Front rank - Fire!"

Platoon fire would be best I reckon, then a bayonet charge. They don't like it up em.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

That was fuzzy-wuzzies, not foxy-woxies.

I suppose a properly co-ordinated bayonet charge could kill, gut, and prepare for kebabbing in one easy process.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Not really. The penetrating power and size of the shot is such that its unlikely to break any bones, and at the worst, the fox will get a nasty infected wound. At best you might get a long shot and have it suffocate over a few hours. If you are REALLY accurate/lucky and penetrate an eye socket into the brain, it might die almost immediately.

None of these is anything like as clean a kill as e.g. a hunt dog would make.

I'd say at least a .22 with hollowpoint, preferably supersonic, to guarantee enough internal trauma to kill within seconds. I suspect te pros use .25 or .303 type rifles..those ahve a lethal range of a mile or so..not many .22s are really accurate over a couple of hundred yards..

Air rifles will kill birds, cats and rabbits just about in the 60 meter range..but thats about it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Have you eaten fox? I haven't, what's it like?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I think wheels now have to be environmentally friendly. Not so with batteries where there's an exemption. Similarly with NiCad in electrical equipment. RoSH has gone a long way to eliminate lead and other heavy metals to the detriment of the environment in some cases. I know of some computer ICs which will go into landfill shortly because they contain lead and so can't be built into product. Then more ICs must be purchased to replace these at further cost to the enviroment. It's called progress.

Reply to
Fred

I haven't (at least, not knowingly); I was wondering. Probably a bit stringy.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Well our foxes weren't a problem for us, and our friends' foxes were a problem for them. That's how things were. If it had been the other way round we'd have been upset about the foxes and our friends wouldn't. Is that selfish? Is it selfish to be more personally affected about what happens to ourselves and our family, friends etc than to those remote from us?

Reply to
John Stumbles

I think so. But I'm not representative of the majority of humanity.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I'd have thought that grey squirrel was stringy but it isn;t, it's delicious too. But only the back legs have enough meat to make it worthwhile and skinning it is very difficult.

You know the glue they used to use to stick labels on 78 rpm records? I reckon it's derived from squirrels ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Its called paranoia mostly.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Are you saying you'd be just as affected if, for example, some misfortune happened to one of your friends' spouse as if it happened to your own spouse? I don't think so, so I suppose you mean that everyone is selfish. I'd agree with that, but I think the common usage of the word is actually _exceptionally_ selfish. Or perhaps just more selfish than the utterer (in the same way that an 'alcoholic' is anyone who drinks more than the person applying that label)

Reply to
John Stumbles

Your neighbour's car is stolen but you don't mind seeing the thieves because they haven't taken your car.

That's be a better comparison..

Reply to
Mary Fisher

That's a gross exaggeration, assuming you're talking about non-FAC rated guns.

Reply to
Chris Bacon