Fan oven repair - false economy?

You could try the 'old banger' approach. If you have somewhere to store it, buy a second one on ebay (probably dirt cheap nowadays) and keep it handy to rob for parts when the time comes. This probably works less well for ovens (not much to go wrong and most likely to be the element each time) as it does for, say, washing machines (lots of parts).

This can come especially handy for builtin appliances, where the alternative is rebuilding the kitchen to match the cutouts of a replacement, which always seem to be in a different place.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

Ours was bought by my parents in about 1985. It's had at least one element, the fan sometimes sticks, the clocky bit died many years ago, I had to machine a new door switch pushy bit, the catch has been unhappy for a long time, there's a thermostat problem when it's off, the door seals may be suffering, but it's a really simple to use twin oven/grill

- one knob for each oven, one for the grill, no selecting which mode to use etc, so it's staying till something properly breaks.

Reply to
Clive George

Unless you've got a fair reason for a new one I see no sense getting one. A nd nothing above comes anywhere near being such a reason.

If you want long lived reliable appliances, keep old ones rather than buy n ew. Old ones have proven their ability to last. I know someone that replace d her 1930s oven a couple of years ago. There was nothing wrong with it, a new one was just safer.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't agree with the 'throwaway society' . "Three wheels on my wagon" & all that!

I think we'll have a bit of a dismantle after breakfast - just got to find my torx drivers!

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

Understand the principle - but I'm trying to _empty_ the shed! Also don't think it'd go down very well with SWMBO....

- in fact I KNOW it wouldn't go down very well - and I'd probably end us sleeping in said shed.

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

Agreed - it's out with the screwdrivers after breakfast!

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

The oven thermostat often is the next to go.

Ash Burton

Was that because of your own droopy element?

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Any proprietary brand of spray oven cleaner should remove gunge e.g Mr Muscle, it would be worth a try before repairing or replacing.

Ash Burton

Now that's a good thought - I'll pull the fan out and have a look. Thanks A

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

You need to be careful with those as you can't clean them off the elements very well and they cause corrosion which make the element fail prematurely. This is specially so in fan ovens where the element is behind a plate and you don't take the plate off to remove the cleaner.

Reply to
dennis