Failed Oil Gun

I needed an oil-, as opposed to grease-, gun, and bought a Cogex one from Amazon, as it was described as just what I wanted. The flexible hose says that it's rated for 10,000 psi. A pity that the crimped fitting to the nozzle at the end of the hose is only good for maybe 10 psi. Is that how they rate them in France, I wonder? The replacement gun is on its way, with no problem. Let's hope...... If not, then I'll just use the solid pipe from one of my old dead grease guns, the fitting is the same, and I can avoid the need for a flexible hose. But I wanted to make sure that the defective one was returned, hopefully, to its maker, if Amazon do that, so that they know the problem.

Reply to
Davey
[...]

If you have a lathe it's a relatively simple matter to make your own. That's what I did. I was pleasantly surprised I got a good seal around the oil nipples with minimal loss. Not really sure why this should be the case bare metal to bare metal, but somehow it does!

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

No lathe. I don't, at the moment, even have a bench vise. Still setting up after moving back home after many years overseas. But thanks. And anyway, as I said, an old fixed tube will fit just fine if the replacement does the same thing.

Reply to
Davey

When the replacement arrived today, I opened the one-page 'User Manual', that is in French only. It states that the gun is to be used only with grease, and that anything else, such as liquids, are no good. But the Amazon page from which I ordered it clearly said that it was an Oil Gun, I took a snapshot just in case.

Here's the page:

I like the recommendation, that: "Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought": Dim Men's Boxer Shorts.

Reply to
Davey

The base of that tells me it's a grease gun - liquid will fall out won't it?

Amazon do returns don't they?

looks more like an oil gun to me. Though it looks too cheap to be any good.

Reply to
Clive George

It has a proper seal in the barrel, and when I tried it, no oil came out at either of the barrel joints. But I intend to hang it up where it will be safe if it drips while unused. As there will be long periods between uses, I may well empty it of oil each time.

Yep, but if I find nothing else within 30 days that is better, I'll keep this, even if I have to use my old solid tube instead of the flex.

No chance, it doesn't have the power that a real gun provides. I want one that fits on a grease nipple just like a grease gun, but pumps heavy oil instead of grease. I already have a simple oil can, but that is no way any good for this.

Thanks for looking.

Reply to
Davey

Something like this :

?
Reply to
Clive George

snip

OOh! That looks good. Thanks. If I give up on the Cogex, that is my next choice. 15cl isn't much, but if it does the job, not a problem.

I also looked at items 14 & 15, which appear to be versions of my old but faithful Wanner grease gun, and they take 120cc. But it looks as though they might have got the wrong photo for the nipple type in item

15, if the one that you pointed out and its 'pair' are any indication. Am I missing something, before I send them a message querying this?

Are these guns all activated by pressing down on the base? I see no lever to actuate. That would be a problem, as there is limited space for arm movement.

A pity I didn't know I was going to have a problem before I had a problem, or I would have asked here first!

Reply to
Davey

I'm afraid I have no idea. I have no experience with these, but was sufficiently interested to do a little googling :-) So asking sounds like a good plan.

I think that one might be, though I'm only guessing. I found that one by asking amazon for "oil gun", finding

as the only one which looked even slightly like a quality product, seeing the review saying he'd got one for his myford lathe, so googled for myford oil gun.

I suspect the one in lathespares might be the same one as in the amazon link - the price is similar.

Reply to
Clive George

I also started by Searching Amazon, but I never saw that gun.

Just another unanswered question concerning the internet.

"One day, all e-mail messages sent will also be received. The problem is, we won't know which day it is".

Reply to
Davey

Cogex seem to be French, and searching that part number comes up with "Graisse", not "Huile". I think this could be an Amazon cockup.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Yep, it is. And since the replacement leaked oil copiously out of the plunger hole, it also will be going back, with a refund demanded, as not fit for use as sold. See my mention of the manual being in French only, and talking only of grease. Just in case, I took a snapshot of the Amazon page, above, from which I ordered it, clearly displaying 'Oil Gun' in case they argue. But at least the replacement didn't leak oil out of the flex. hose!

Reply to
Davey

Update: The second unit was returned as "Unsuitable for Purpose", and the refund has been issued.

Amazon made it easy to return.

Reply to
Davey