What's this knife?

The blade is 6mm thick along the top. I suspect its pretty old. The blade is lightly rusted, so not stainless. The black handle is a hard plastic. There are remains of some black probably-coating dotted about on the blade.

Google image search produced nothing relevant.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Could be for stripping cables or some such.

Reply to
F Murtz

It does have that look about it

Reply to
Andy Burns

It's a putty remover for reglazing old wooden window frames where the glass is held in place and sealed with a fillet of putty. The wide edge is that it can be struck with a hammer to force it along the rebate and chip the ha rdened putty out. Closer inspection wil probably reveal hammer marks on the wide edge.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

It's a hacking knife.

Used in many trades for different things. youi nrest the blade on the object to be cut and tap the back with a hammer.

Reply to
harry

Every market trader, greengrocer and vegetable grower had one of them in his apron for lopping cabbage heads and trimming leeks.

Not so many seen around these days

Tim W

Reply to
Tim w

Looks like a hacking knife to me. Designed to remove hard putty from window frames. It has a thick back so you can drive the blade with a hammer, while guiding it with the handle.

John Rumm

ss is held in place and sealed with a fillet of putty. The wide edge is tha t it can be struck with a hammer to force it along the rebate and chip the hardened putty out. Closer inspection wil probably reveal hammer marks on t he wide edge.

+1
Reply to
fred

+2 (although it also looks a bit like a carpenters "marking" knife).
Reply to
newshound

We used to use a knife like that to strip the lead off cable,I think many trades use them They are thick so you can bash em.

Reply to
F Murtz

Agreed, and I am wrong about a marking knife, they have the "edge" on the end rather than the side.

Reply to
newshound

thanks everyone, a hacking knife it is. It does have hammer damage along the top of the blade. And I do need to redo some putty.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Or strip cable or any of its other uses