Extracting wall plugs

Her-in-Doors has requested that a CD holder be removed which was attached to a hard plastered brick wall by plastic plugs. She now of course wants the plugs removed / covered up.

Has anyone found a quick and easy way to do this ? Extraction doesn't seem to work so my thoughts were to try and drill the top surface off and then fill.

Thanks Rob

Reply to
robgraham

I've never had any problem with loosely inserting a screw finger tight with only a couple of turns and then removing with a claw hammer. The wall plug usually comes with the screw. If the top coat of plaster is particularly loose then you might pull a bit of plaster off as well but you were going to fill before painting weren't you?

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

doesn't

Usually if you screw a woodscrew in half way, then use a claw hammer to pull the screw out they give up and admit defeat. You may want to use a piece of plywood under the hammer to protect the plaster. Failing that, use a suitable masonary drill to bore it out and plaster over.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Or use a suitable drift to drive it further into the hole, and then apply filler.

Reply to
Roger Mills

For the very few that really wont come out I find an angle grinder the quickest solution. A quick gentle pass over it and everything's below the surface ready to fill. You should get it out using a screw though,

1/4" in, and with claw hammer to lever it if necessary.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

a screw works well for that as well...

Reply to
John Rumm

Hey - someone had to come up with the 'angle grinder' suggestion. Well done NT !! The solution for everything.

The reason for asking is that I had tried the claw hammer technique and there was sufficient resistance that I was concerned about pulling the plaster off. I think on re-inspection that they are far enough in that I may be able to get away with just filler.

Thanks Rob

Reply to
robgraham

If inserting a screw part way and pulling doesn't get it out try a pair of thin long nosed pliers. Force one point between the plug and the wall and the other down the centre of the plug then grip hard, twist and pull. That often does the trick for me. Sometimes the plug breaks off part way down and you need to repeat the process for the other side but you're left with sufficient of a hole to put filler in.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

Pulling usually removes a chunk of (our) plaster so now I use a hot air blower to melt the things - scrape a bit of the mess out to leave room for some filler.

Reply to
Geo

You don't usually need them removed, just made invisible.

Narrow chisel (Lidl's finest "cheap Chinoiserie for hitting into nasty things") to prune the top down well below surface, then filler over.

Reply to
Andy Dingley