How to cut plugs

I need to make 3/4" circlular plugs of hard maple to fill some drill holes. My thoughts are to make a 3/4 X 3/4 square and sand the corners round.

Is there an easier way to make these plugs? Keep in mind that I cannot use a

3/4" dowel since I need cross grain. I also have no lathe.

Rob

Reply to
Rob

Lenny

in article f9ASa.251167$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.southeast.rr.com, Rob at snipped-for-privacy@sysadminus.com wrote on 7/20/03 10:18 AM:

If you have a drill press and table saw you could get a hole saw that leaves a 3/4" cut out (not a 3/4" hole) and make a series of cuts with the hole saw on a piece of wood that has the grain pattern you want. Drill a little deeper than the thickness of the plugs you need but not all the way through (unless the wood is the thickness you need) and when you have enough run the board through the table saw. You can out tape along the plugs and they will not go flying as they are cut free of the wood. Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Farley

Um...howza 'bout a plug cutter?

Mark from Pasadena, MD