extra phone socket - how to fit?

The junction box is unlikely to be surplus to requirements if it joins the external wire to an internal wire which goes to your master socket - they have to be joined somehow!

If you do have an NTE5, you can legally run your own extension wiring from it. If you remove the faceplate (held on by 2 screws) you will see the IDC connectors on the back into which you can krone your extension wires, as per the box with "Removeable User Panel" shown in

faceplate is the interface between BT's responsibility and yours. You

*shouldn't* touch anything on BT's side of that - which would include the junction box which you mentioned.
Reply to
Set Square

collisions?

I'm not entirely boned up on the ins and outs, but I'm sure there's a solution to every hacker's problem.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Yebbut nobbut yebbut nobbut and Sharon says (sorry, we all talk like that in Bristle ;-) Firstly, your attacker can just wait till the legit user of the discovered MAC shuts up for a few minutes (reasonable sign that they've shut down, with "chatty" protocols like Microsoft's file sharing). Secondly, they can just go ahead and use the MAC addr anyway, relying on higher-level protocols - TCP in particular - to deal with tedious errors arising from collisions. Whether the "legit" user will notice depends a lot on how their OS is configured - some whine a lot about duplicate MAC addrs, some don't. The nature of radio reception (echoes of signals arriving a bit later after bouncing off gert lumpen metal) means it's harder for WiFi chipsets to be "authoritative" about saying "Oi! Someone else is claiming my MAC address!" than for a wired Ethernet...

Stefek

Reply to
Stefek Zaba

Thanks all - this has been both instructive and helpful. Initially i figure i may just make some use of the extension cable that i have running from the phone socket in the front bedroom [auxillary socket]. What i intend is: double-plug-adaptor into socket; microfilter into 1 plug [phone into microfilter] and extension cable into other plug of adaptor. at the "other end" ie at my computer i would then need a BT-->RJ11 adaptor i presume [or another microfilter] and plug modem into this..

Over the longer term i would then look to run a "proper" extension from the phone socket in the upstairs front bedroom into the back bedroom - either routing it along the skirting boards or up into the attic, across and down. I presume this is still possible from a "non-master" socket?

Reply to
Riz1

This will probably work. I say "probably" because, depending on the strength of the ADSL signal it may or may not work over a plug-in extension cable. It's always safer to hard-wire it with proper twisted pair phone cable.

Yes, you can daisy-chain extension sockets. So if you already have an extension connected into the master, you can run another extension from the first one, and another from that, etc. Just make sure that pin 2 on each extension is connected (directly or indirectly) to pin 2 on the master, and likewsie for pins 5 and 3. [Actually, if a socket is *only* being used for ADSL, you don't need pin 3].

Reply to
Set Square