extra phone socket - how to fit?

Other way round - without pin 3 wired (the "ring" line), some phones may not ring on incoming calls.

Reply to
John Rumm

we currently have 2 phone sockets at my folks house: 1 in the front room downstairs and 1 in the front bedroom upstairs. the little "master exchange box thingy is in the back bedroom upstairs, the same room the computer is in.

to date for dialup i had succeeded in merely taking a very long extension wire from a double-plug in the socket in the master bedroom across the landing and into the back bedroom [with inevitable curses when it went bellyup and i had to change it!].

now putting broadband in that house i dont really want to have to do the same with an RJ11 cable too and wonder how easy it would be to put a socket-box in that bedroom??

i figure no matter if i use a long RJ11 extension cable or even if i add another microfilter to the end of the "normal " bt extension cable into the room the long legth will cause signal degredation....

Reply to
Riz1

Easy - hook up the connections numbered 2, 3 and 5 with the same colours, and you`re good to go, 2-red 3-blue 5-black. ISTR you could actually do it with 2 cores, but the third may help if you have some really old telephone equipment (I don`t think some old phones ring out without the third core)

You should take the connections at the present master socket from the seperate plug-in front part, not the back part of the master.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Have a look at

for how to wire an extension. You *must* use proper twisted pair telephone cable though - not any old rubbish if you want good results.

With proper cable you don't have to worry about signal degradation - the length of your extension is a damn site less than the length of cable coming fom the exchange to your house!

If you go the normal voice extension route, you can plug your ADSL equipment into any socket - but you must use microfilters on all sockets which have analog equipment (phones, faxes, etc.) plugged in.

The alternative - particularly if you don't need a voice connection in the room with the computer - is to use a filtered faceplate in the master socket and run a digital extension from that. If you use one of the modified ones from Clarity

(and others) you can krone the extension cable into the *back* of the faceplate rather than using an RJ11 plug at the front. In that case, use CAT5 cable (although you only actually need one of the pairs in it) and put an RJ11 socket at the remote end.

Reply to
Set Square

I used alarm cable I had knocking around - sound quality is not a problem on mine, and my broadband uses the same "added" extension.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

He said "ring out", I was not sure this was particularly clear, hence my comment.

Reply to
John Rumm

or use a PBX master socket instead of ordinary secondary ones.

Reply to
John Rumm

Well, ok - you can sometimes get away with it if you're fairly near to the exchange, with a good strong signal. But I *certainly* wouldn't advise anyone else to do it that way!

Reply to
Set Square

I've got a 15ft extension with microfilter on the end with no problems, a "temporary" solution until I have time to sort out all the rest of the wiring.

But if you wish to connect another skt in the bedroom, a master skt wire up the 2 incoming wires to 2 and 4 would give a working skt

Reply to
Dave Jones

Only approved phones I've come across that don't use the third wire are cordless types.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ooer, which one of us is right :-} it`s been a long time since I wired mine, and I working from a decidedly dodgy memory :-}

Reply to
Colin Wilson

The important wires to connect are 2 and 5 - without which nothing will work. You also need 3 for a phone which doesn't have its own ring capacitor.

Reply to
Set Square

That's what he said.

Reply to
Bob Eager

When I said third core I wasn`t sure whether it was 2, 3 or 5 that did the ring on older phones, but at least I know now :-)

I actually meant 2 cores would do the trick, but I wasn`t sure which 2

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Nope - that would give a most definitely non-working socket :-).

Reply to
Peter Parry

Quite a lot of modern phones require the ringing signal on pin 3 - it certainly isn't needed just for older equipment.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Not quite! He said the "third may help". The third wire in his list is Pin

5 - which is one of the *essential* connections!
Reply to
Set Square

One completely different alternative is to use a ADSL modem with wireless access point router where you already have a socket. Then the computer can be anywhere in the house and no cables need to be run.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

It's not a very good alternative, though, for a fixed computer - but fine for laptops which you might want to use in different parts of the house.

Wireless connections are invariably more temperamental than wired ones, have additional security issues to be addressed, and it is a bad mistake not to have at least one PC with a wired connection into the router for configuration purposes.

Reply to
Set Square

I find it an excellent solution for my fixed computer. It has changed location 3 times since I moved in and meant I haven't had to dig holes in the walls to conceal cables. The cable modem, hub, router and access point (all old separate units) are in the understairs cupboard. If hardwired configuration is required, a laptop can be plugged directly to the hub using a cable.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle