Extending the floor of a trailer

In a long term project, I have an 8x4 foot trailer, with a plywood floor that I can stand on. Underneath the floor are steel joists. I wish to be able to extend the floor by having another piece of plywood that can slide out the back and I wish to stand on that as well! So I'll have a

16x4 foot floor or maybe a bit shorter. I'll need to support the extra floor somehow. Perhaps there could be hinged supports every couple of feet that hinge down to the ground, and the whole lot slides back on the trailer when the trailer is to be moved. This all wants to be as light as possible, and I'd rather use timber everywhere. I already have lots of plywood. I know you all like weird challenges!
Reply to
MattyF

With the axle roughly central, presumably.

Just the back?

With the axle still 4' from the front, but now 12' hanging behind it...?

So is this just as a static platform, or do you want to be able to tow it as a 16' long trailer?

If it's the former, then it's relatively straightforward. If it's the latter, then... good luck.

Any trailer laws locally that might be relevant?

Reply to
Adrian

In message , MattyF writes

This must have been solved by trailer manufacturers already. Do you have a local outlet for commercial trailers who could be quizzed?

I suppose something like a studwork wall with ply top and bottom. Folding screw jacks ought to be available. Presumably your existing trailer will have adjustable jacks already fitted to take the load when any weight is transferred behind the axle. Perhaps 4 more: 2 at the back and 2 midway along your extension.

A very long while since I have been to an outdoor exhibition but I think these things must be very common for commercial displays.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Well there you are, I hadn't thought of extending out the front as well! Here's the trailer:

Maybe I'll have 4 feet out the front and four feet out the back.

Just a static platform.

Everything will be just a removable load for when it needs an inspection.

Reply to
MattyF

OK this is what I want to make but longer and higher!

MattyF

Seems fairly straightforward if you want it to just "work" static. At the front, you've got the main A to rest the longer floor on. At the back, a set of four legs to make it relatively free-standing, just tagged onto the back of the normal trailer. But...

Now I'm baffled.

Not quite sure how or what you're wanting to be able to "fold out" - and if you have stuff in front, you'll probably start to have problems with it nudging the back of the car on tight manouvering.

Reply to
Adrian

MattyF scribbled...

Caravanning for dwarfs ?

Showhome for pigs?

Reply to
Artic

MattyF scribbled...

Artic

If it is kept outside, you need really good quality ply. The usual B&Q shit won't last two minutes.

Reply to
harryagain

No just a caravan that can be extended when parked. Sort of like this but shorter!

MattyF

In message , Artic

Reply to
chris French

Reply to
Tim+

In NZ a trailer has to pass an inspection every six months. I'll remove anything loaded on it before the inspection!

Reply to
MattyF

Good grief! Here it's once every, um, never.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I can see a strong argument for "somewhere in the middle"... Especially after a mate's car trailer went for a walk last weekend, much to the chagrin of the Audi coming the other way.

Reply to
Adrian

Crumbs! You'd ground that on our roads.

How about a hinged tailboard like a horse box. You could adapt a commercial awning to extend your living space and retain security with it raised and locked.

Not exactly aerodynamic but towable.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I had been thinking that, as the trailer is 4t x 8ft and Matty wants to double its length, it could have hinged 4ft sides and end, plus a hinged top and bottom that fold across each end for travel. What I am not sure about is how he would use the extra space in the ends without a lot of demountable furniture that would add to the set up and take down time. I would probably just build a longer chassis and put the caravan on that.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

The trailer is for several purposes. Firstly it will basically have an empty box on it, and that will be towed around. Secondly, I might want to use it as a camping trailer and sleep and cook in it. 8x4 is a bit small so I thought that one or both ends could slide out for more space. Of course it will never be towed like that.

Reply to
MattyF

Assuming you've got the storage space, I'd be very tempted to just have two trailers. Save a LOAD of ballache, even before design compromises for the caravan are considered.

But, of course, that ignores any costs of ownership out there.

Reply to
Adrian

And Matty's penchant for slightly off the wall projects :-)

Reply to
chris French