Trailer floor tear out

I've done an assortment of things in my life. But this is a new one on me. I've been asked to estimate (and possibly do) a floor tear out, for a trailer bedroom.

There was a water leak, which is the subject of another post.

The bedroom is about 12' 6" by 13', some closet along the wall. But she doesn't much like the closet. She'd rather have a long closet, with accordian fold door.

So, the project is to tear out the floor, and put down a sheet of whatever. I'm thinking 3/4 or 5/8 T and G is probably standard for this kind of thing. There is a section of floor maybe 6 by 6 which is just about ready to fall through.

Beams run side to side across the trailer, and on 24 inch centers.

She'd like "some of that fireproof insulation", which I read to be fiberglass batts.

She'd like some kind of decorative hardwood lay on top of this, and not sure that's my department. And maybe carpet, which is definitely not my department.

OK, folks, what advice can you give me? How to estimate? Any tips to make the job go easier (things like "cut a chunk of plywood about 3 foot square, and use it for a platform to kneel on" kind of thing. Is there any experience out there, in terms of estimating the labor involved?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

By trailer do you mean a mobile home (semi perminantly parked at a park) or a towable 30"-40" trailer with a hitch and exposed wheels. 12"x13" sounds like a single wide mobile home, is it?

You got to be consciencious of how the wind will travel under trailer when towed but not so much on a mobile home which rarely gets moved. Construction is significantly different to.

Reply to
AutoTracer

Chris,

I haven't worked on a MH for years.

The older ones were not built anything like a traditional house. Everything takes 2-3 times the normal amount of effort and even then you haven't really done a first class job. There is never anything to anchor anything to. Avoid the job if you can. That would be 2-3 times whatever factor you normally add for Mr. Murphy.

With 24" centers you need at least 3/4" and it will still have some spring.

Good Luck.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

This is Turtle.

Price out 8 Sheets of 3/4" Plywood, Nails, and 4 rolls of 24 inch center insulation. If you feel cheap use 5/8" plywood. You should be able to take the floor out and replace it in one day. So for labor what would you want per day for me to come get you and work your guts out all day. What would you want for a days work like that ?

Now your going to find out that the insulation is one big blanket from one end of the trailor to the other and is not between the floor rafters. If you insulate you will be double insulating the room.

Now to work off of. Use the new plywood your going to lay back down and just cover area up.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

i would go down to local gas staion. get 5 gallons of hi-test, dump said 5 gallons on moblie home, and light. they were never meant to be repaired easily. the flooring systems used in them are junk. good luck finding solid anchorage anywhere. especially if you have to go further then just the subfloor

Reply to
I R Baboon