cleaning water stain mark from granite countertop?

Hi, I have a dark green granite countertop in the bathroom. one area has developed a ring of some kind of deposit (whitish). I believe it is water mark or caused by the hard deposits in the water. It is where I put the cups.

How do I clean those out? It's not very severe but noticible. If I wipe it with a damp cloth it disappears. but after the water dries it appears again.

Thanks.

Reply to
nospam.house

In the past I have removed hard water marks with a product called KED (properly mixed) but anything with phosphoric acid should get it done. Find an out of the way place to do a test before going after the main stain....good luck , Ross

Reply to
Ross Mac

Anything with acid which you would use to remove a hard water stain might etch the granite. In fact what you described may in fact be an etched area. If it is etched, you will need to polish or reseal the stone. If you can scrape some off with your fingernail, it is a hard water stain. Not sure of the best cleaner (soft soap and elbow greese) but acidic cleaners like lime away might do far more damage than good.

There are non-acidic hard water cleaners. Read the labels and call the product info hotlines if you want reassurance.

Reply to
AutoTracer

Like I said....properly mixed.... If it's etched....that is certainly another situation....take care, Ross

Reply to
Ross Mac

Diamond paste will remove the stain. A bit expensive too. It's what the pros use when their lapping granite surface plates for the manufacturing industry.

Reply to
Clark Griswold

I get this in my bathroom around the cold and hot water handles. A single edge razor blade scrapes them right off.

Reply to
Lee & Cathi Thomas

Tile setter here, go to this web sight

and check out the special solutions section and look for the oil stain remover. "Stone Tech" is a great product and worth the money. You can also find this product line at a local Dal Tile store in your area.

Erik Want to work from home?

Erik