EXCEL to Numbers

Is there a simple way of saving/converting an EXCEL spreadsheet into the Apple-Mac spreadsheet Numbers? I see that there are various web sites offering to do it for free if you upload your Excel sheet to them, but I don't want to do that. I'm looking simply either to save my sheet in Numbers format, which I don't think is an option, or download some free software to do it on my machine.

Alternatively, is there a simple way of running Numbers under MS Win

10?
Reply to
Chris Hogg

Would it be possible to use an intermediate export/import file format - you export from Excel into a format which Numbers can import?

That might work for a simple spreadsheet, but once you start introducing complex formulae or macros I wouldn't bet on it being 100% accurate.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

I have done it in the past by creating a free apple .me account, and using their converter - but that is an "online" upload/download style conversion.

The other option would be to see if Numbers can open one or other of the common interchange formats, or even (worst case) a CSV.

You could probably create a "hackintosh" running under virtualbox or similar.

(or do the reverse and run a win10 VM on the mac)

Reply to
John Rumm

It depends so much on how complicated the spreadsheet is and if you have any VBA modules or very Windozy things lurking in the background.

Apple support seems to imply that it ought to work seamlessly (but that is quite likely not true for more complicated worksheets).

These are programs claiming to do it better - no guarantees they will work for you. I try to keep numbers on the Mac and Excel on the PC.

Martin Brown

CSV is the one to use. for DATA. wont export formulae

It appears numbers can do excel already

The Natural Philosopher

Numbers can open .xls and .xlsx, so the recipient should just be able to open the Excel file. I don't see the need for a converter, unless you have a specific need to distribute a .numbers file?

This works:

Theo

Reply to
Theo

I have a car mileage Excel spreadseet with some formulae in the cells and a chart. Just tried opening that with Numbers, it had no trouble in doing so, although the x-axis labelling was not quite right.

Reply to
Tim Streater

You could run windows on a mac. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

They do offer versions of Office for the Mac of course. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

They're slightly different in design.

And you know what the translation process will be like, just from reading that.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Thanks for the replies. I'm in a small group of volunteers - the project coordinator runs a Mac + Numbers - I have W10 + Excel. I'm pleased to hear that Numbers can read Excel files. I'll let the coordinator sort it out - the files are not complicated - just simple tables.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

If that doesn't work for any reason, you could try running LibreOffice on both machines - there are Windows and Mac versions available.

Reply to
Roger Mills