eves fascia without soffit

I am thinking of having a soffitless eves on my extension due to various space requirements / clearance. Any problems that should steer me clear of this design ? TIA, Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

I have seen it done - you can see all the rafter ends poking out. Can look quite good. Sorry, no experience of it myself,

Andy.

Reply to
Andy

Sorry, dont think I mean that - I think I mean a flush eves. Just a fascia plate alost flush with the wall that covers the end of the rafters, so you don't actually see them. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Just make sure that both sides of the facia are given a good coat of primer before installing,they can rot out very quickly if not

Reply to
Alex

This is easy enough to do just remember that your external skin o brickwork will need to be built up higher than normal in order to b covered by the facia. There is also the question of vents, you can either use facia top vent or simply use a breathable underfelt

-- Nick H

Reply to
Nick H

These were typical on many system built properties from the 60's, and the problems that we have to deal with today are water penetration due to rotten/punctured/defective sarking felt at the eaves, and also problems with gutter leaks or overflowing.

This causes water to soak backwards into the wall, where otherwise it would drip from a soffit.

This design requires carefull detailing and care should be exercised when constructing.

dg

Reply to
dg

Use a felt support tray.

I replaced the facias on the back of my house this summer (next summer, the front gets done). Additionally, I stripped parts of the roof and replaced the felt, and fitted a felt support tray all the way along. (Note you don't need to strip off any of the roof just to fit a felt support tray, although it will be easier if you lift off or push up the lowest row of tiles, which you'll need to do to replace the facia anyway.)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel