EU to improve Oven gloves

I tend to avoid oven gloves as they often don't insulate enough. I use folded tea towels instead where I can control the thickness

Maybe the Germans and the Dutch will ensure that we get good gloves in the future:

Michael Chare

I try not to use gloves especially communal ones so I do not have contact with others nose pickings.

Reply to
F Murtz

I use Orka silicone mitts, which are fine for the hottest oven.

Reply to
Nightjar

I'd rather have gloves that work for a bit more money rather than those which don't and are cheap. The big problem I see is the forgeries. Too many products and items are these days just cheap copies and fool the public into buying them. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Even ignoring the ridiculous spin, what an incredibly lame piece of "journalism", absolute proof of how far what used to be a decent quality paper has fallen. Even the Wail would be embarrassed to print that. It's pretty-much Sun quality writing.

Reply to
Adrian

You need better ones, then.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

and the danger with using tea towels is that a damp one may give you steam burns.

Reply to
fred

One one level, it's no bad thing, on another, it's yet more paperwork that will ultimately push the price up.

However I am constantly irritated by the fact that "oven gloves" are mostly mitts or those stupid mitt-like things connected together as a long rectangle.

I use these:

They are proper gloves, although their claim of protecting up to 350C might be somewhat dubious as I find trays which have been in the oven at 250C do penetrate through after 10 seconds or so. Great for oven to table top/trivet though.

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

We have some of those, I quite like them but my wife doesn't maybe because of her smaller hands.

I find them awkward for some things though

Reply to
Chris French

My parents had accumulated 4 pairs of oven gloves which have been given to them by well meaning people in recent years. Only one of the pairs actually provides a safe level of insulation, so I recently chucked the other pairs out.

I noticed CPC have a single silicone oven glove

It looks to be right handed in the picture, but Mum is left handed, and in any case, I can't see her taking the time to put a glove on - it would need to be an instant on/off mit, like oven gloves usually are.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I keep meaning to get a dedicated pair but the set of bright Red welding gloves I got instead from Aldi about 5 years ago still soldier on and offer a bit of protection to the arm when reaching into the oven.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Yes, and if the EU has its way and we stay in it, they shoul become easier to buy.

Reply to
Michael Chare

They look rather 'form over function' ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Quote from somewhere or other

"In the UK, oven gloves must comply with the British Standard ?BS

6526:1998 - Domestic oven gloves. Requirements and test methods.? This standard only applies to domestic oven gloves. It does not apply to commercial gloves - professional oven gloves are covered by the PPE Directive - and also does not cover domestic barbecue gloves."

So, will it cost manufacturers any more to conform to an EU standard than to the British Standard which has been around since 1998?

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

They are surprisingly effective and easy to use.

Reply to
Nightjar

In recent months my wife has managed to set fire to 2 oven gloves. Can't work out how - but they were both BS kitemarked...

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

I've set fire to oven gloves - ion the hob not in the oven.

Reply to
Chris French

For simple functionality try catering oven cloths. Dennys do a good one

rbel

Chefs use damp tea towels. Presumably if it is too hot you will then see / hear some steam being produced.

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

They are a bit clumsy as not very flexible. If you try to lift something ou t of the oven with small handles, such as a casserole dish, I find they can not grip the handles well due to the curvature at the end of the gloves, an d it can be quite dangerous as the handles easily slip. The safe method is to cradle the dish with your whole hands - my wife hates them as she has qu ite small hands. My mother has some fingered very well padded gloves that are pretty good - they look like they would have been made of asbestos in times past. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson