Ethanol

I was under the impression that all cars running on unleaded were burning

10% ethanol. Or are you talking about the difference between diesel and petrol? I doubt there are any ethanol fuelled cars outside of a race track or drag strip.

Tim

Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) snipped-for-privacy@bluey> Can you explain though why there is a different smell to the exhaust on

Reply to
Tim+

There is an E10 compatibility checker:

Says E10 petrol is cleared for use in all models with petrol engines from 1st January 2000 (Nissan).

Reply to
Scott

E10 means petrol contains up to 10% renewable ethanol. To date, petrol in the UK has contained up to 5% renewable ethanol (known as E5).

E10 petrol is already widely used around the world, including across Europe, the US and Australia. It has also been the reference fuel against which new cars are tested for emissions and performance since

2016.
Reply to
Scott

Only applies to 95 octane petrol. The super grade will remain at 5%

Reply to
Andrew

Castrol-R, wasn't it? I can't reemeber whether it was a fuel additive or a type of oil.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Some versions of the Avensis between 2004 and 2008? cannot use it though, but they can still use the super grade of petrol.

Reply to
Andrew

which explains the name.

Reply to
charles

You're probably already using E5 petrol, E10 is just more of the same.

The biggest concern is that ethanol is hygroscopic, it absorbs water, and you don't want a watery fuel stagnating in your fuel tank. Especially if you only use your car once in a while.

You can get ethanol corrosion inhibitor to slow/stop these effects.

I'm surprised the equivalent of diesel bug isn't an issue?

As long as the fuel is dry or has corrosion inhibitor then it shouldn't attack either lead (in old solder) or zinc (in brass).

Reply to
Fredxx

My feeling too. Or the articles I've read try to simplify things for us peasants and invent 'science' that doesn't exist.

One said the ethanol absorbs moisture from air. And that 'condensation' will attack lead, zinc, brass, copper and of course steel. As well as rubber and some plastics.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Current 95 octane is E5 - 5% alcohol. The proposed new E10, so 10%. Some countries have E85. And if a poorer country, likely a larger proportion of old cars?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

BL said none of their vehicles pre 1992 (or whatever) could be run on unleaded without modification or the use of an additive. Which was nonsense. But did apply to some of their old engine designs, like the Mini. So I'd not take what a maker says as gospel. They have no legal responsibility for 20 year old cars, but a vested interest in selling new ones.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Wasn't it the case that the ones with the Honda engines were okay?

Reply to
Scott

That's up to 5%, though apparently it is 0% from Esso in a handful of areas (Devon, Cornwall, Teesside, Scotland, NW England).

Reply to
Andy Burns

I don't know about the Romans but it's currently thought to be the cause of Beethoven's deafness, irascibility and early demise.

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

Not all Romans drank wine for a start.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

My mistake. Quite right.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

All their models with alluminimum cylinder heads - so valve seat inserts - were OK. Including all those with the Rover V8. And others too. It was only those with cast iron heads which suffered.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Now if he said it was more carcinogenic he would have been right, from the increased levels of benzene and other aromatic compounds.

Reply to
Fredxx

type of oil

Reply to