Estimate on brickwork?

My parents had some guy come round to do the block paving and during the digging of the original concrete floor they busted a drain through. I ended up busting the drain out and replacing it myself and just today have finished the block paving as well - will try and post some pics of the finished job (if anyone cares..lol).

Anyway, my parents did get this guy to do 2 walls each side of the paving before I finally decided I would do it myself. This guy has basically been a labourer and eventhough he claimed to have done brickwork before it was obvious he had very little professional experience. It took him 7 days to complete the job and he didnt even have a long level (I purchased one for him!). I had to be there most of the time to kick his arse - at one point he made a mistake in laying the bricks and he continued to break a brick in the above course to compensate, ruining the whole look. I had to pay to hire a cement mixer and provided all materials, including mortar plasticiser (but he insisted on using Fairy Liquid).

Now I have to pay him for these walls. Anybody know what a professional bricklayer would have charged? The walls were built 1m high (from foundation), 1 is 5m long and the other is 4m. They are double walls but did not involve any special bonding (English, Flemish etc).

Cheers Folks!

Reply to
StealthUK

Adverts in the local paper were offering 300 pounds per thousand for facing bricks, which sounds about right number for those size walls. (IIRC and the fact that there were several adverts suggests a shortage).

Reply to
Nick Finnigan

Yeah I figured around that mark. He used about 950 bricks and the cheeky git wants £700!

Reply to
StealthUK