Estimate for removing 75 sq ft room 110 miles?

Sure, and you're totally right - but only young whipper-snappers need worry about that.

Reply to
Grunff

Seems like you can't read, what part of the comment about changing / renewing did you not understand ?...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

My, we're all getting tetchy these days... :o)

The renewal thing is interesting - may well affect me one day. What _is_ the box to tick or wording to look out for so as not to lose these rights, and I take it that once lost due to oversight it is not possible to regain them without taking a specific test?

Reply to
RichardS
[ re driving licence renewal in relation to 3.5t > 7.5t vehicles ]

Look for the section about medium goods vehicles (3.5t to 7.5t), IIRC there is a box you need to tick and an extra declaration about your eye sight.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

What exactly do you mean by change or renew? I changed the address on my license last year and there were no special boxes to tick. I still have the right to drive up to 7.5 tonne. There are no boxes to tick on the new license either.

MBQ

Reply to
MBQ

When did you pass your test, and what valid of licence did you hold before you changed your address - I suggest you check the class(es) you are now entitled to drive as what you think and what you can are two difference things - you would also have had to declare that your eye sight was up to the MGV driving standard IIRC. ISTM, and I hope I'm wrong for your sake, that you might not now have the correct licence.....

BTW, the boxes etc. are not on the 'licence' but the renewal / replacement form.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

My paper licence needs renewing soon, since it's literally falling apart ;) I currently have C1 and C1+E so I'll be carefully scanning the renewal form for those boxes - in the unlikely event that I ever want to drive one again :)

Lee

Reply to
Lee

Well, so far I have had wildly differing quotes, ranging from £450 for the man-in-a-van, through £650 (from a locally based and professionally sounding BAR removal company), up to an amazing £936, all plus VAT. The latter quote was from a small but established local removal firm in a town where money is no object. Since I know it will not take more than a hour, tops, for two men to load the van/lorry at the self-storage place and little more time than that to unload it at the destination, £1200 quid (with the VAT and insurance) does seem a tad on the expensive side for a 220 mile round trip!

MM

Reply to
MM

It's still a days work for the men and the vehicle... If they get to the storage depot at 8am and spend an hour loading, they then take just over 2 hours [1] travelling to your new house, they then spend an hour unloading and then another two hours returning to base - by the time you count in the time from base to storage depot and at least one break you're probably talking 7 hours total.

And non of the above is taking possible delays into account !

[1] based on a average speed of 50mph, in case it's a lorry.
Reply to
:::Jerry::::

In message , MM writes

Why not just hire a van and DIY it?

Reply to
raden

Ahh. That's why I asked you to clarify what you mean by renewal/replacement. There is no extra form for change of address, you just fill in the new address and send it back to Swansea. My new license is a photocard one with all the entitlements listed on the back of the photocard (not the paper version) and I still have exactly the entitlements I had before. Passed my test in 1980 btw.

So, I still don't understand what you mean by renewal/replacement that causes you to lose entitlement to drive certain classes of vehicles. Unless you mean after losing your license due to misdemeanour in which case I think everyone should start afresh and retake their test, etc. Perhaps you mean physical loss of the license (ie you lose the bit of paper).

MBQ

Reply to
MBQ

If you are flexible, ask about discounts for moving on an unpopular day. A lot of people want to move on a Friday and we found we could save a few £100 by moving mid-week. This was with regular removals firms rather man-and-a-van types. Also, ask how they protect your furniture in the van. Last time, ours (including white goods) was all covered in padded jackets (think old fashioned hot water cylinder jacket) rather than just having a few blankets thrown over.

MBQ

Reply to
MBQ