Espagnolette bolts

I'm getting a set of french windows made (the d-i-y is in the fitting

- just to keep it on topic) and I'd like to have an espagnolette bolt rather than a pair of normal bolts top and bottom. Specifically I'm thinking of the one on Screwfix page 180

I'm looking for comments on security - is espagnolette better, worse or no difference seeing as anyone who really wanted to break in could easily smash through the leaded light windows which are only 3m away

Has anyone actually bought these ones from Screwfix? They look OK but its hard to tell the finish quality from a picture

Anna

Reply to
Anna

Hm just changed newsreader and my ID is confused (so whats new ...) I will get it sorted asap

Anna The plasterer

Reply to
Anna

Screwfix is owned by B & Q therefore you MAY be able to inspect these bolts in B & Q.

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

Whilst a surface mount espagnolette is probably better than simple window catches (2 locking points, so better resists jemmying) - a far better solution are espagnolettes built into the frame. This is quiet a bit more work for the joiner, but is the solution you see on all the upmarket modern timber windows.

Built in will allow you to fit and aftermarket europrofile quarter-turn handle, with key locking if you wish - the mechanism is entirely concealed in the frame. If you need high security consider getting the glazing sealed units with toughened or laminated glass (approx + 40% for toughened, but glass is a small part of the overall cost). Specifying smaller glass panes helps too.

I've recently made a set of oak, gothic arched chapel doors and bought multipoint locks from these people

- I found them extremely helpful - even when I had to change some parts. I used lockmaster branded stuff this time (exactly the right design for my doors) - but have lived in a flat with windows using maco hardware, which was outstanding.

Do you mean full height double french doors as windows? If so the Lockmaster French door locks may be exactly the right solution for you (they require a false mullion be built into the slave door, the payoff being lots of locking points)

Reply to
dom

Can you post a URL?

FWIW these things (flush bolts):

't marvellously strong, but should be OK combined with rack bolts on one window.

Are your windows to open in, or out?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

FLIPPING HECK.

Pardon me, but *really*.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

No - not really at all. AIUI the terms are quite similar - French Doors (doors with glazed panels all the way to the floor, often double doors) and French Windows (usually a pair of inward opening, tall and narrow windows).

Reply to
dom

Well then you do not UI.

These are French windows.