Epson Inkjet - apparently un-diy-able to fix ?

Thanks to all for their comments....

....good news!

These guys

a utility to download which resets the dreaded waste ink counter - the utility is free but the key costs $9.99 per use....

..and it works ! (fx - cheers & general jubilation)

I do understand that there's a need to actually examine the waste ink pads and extract / wash / replace - but, just for the moment, the printer now prints again!

Apparently one solution to the waste ink pad problem is a small bottle that can be fitted _outside_ the printer to collect the waste ink - I see that they're on ebay for a tenner or so ....

While agreeing with the laser vs inkjet debate - there are some things that the Inkjet is better at - so keeping it running (cheaply! ) makes sense !

Thanks all for your words of wisdom Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

your bank is good at detecting credit card fraud!

Reply to
Andy Burns

Somewhere like that, I use a throwaway virtual card.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Yes thanks - all prophylactics up-to-date - and payment via Paypal.... (yes - I know.. but it beats giving your credit card to all & sundry)

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

In article , Adrian Brentnall writes

No idea. Maybe there's a magic switch or jumper to be made or satanic incantation* to be recited before the printer will listen to what's being said.

  • seasonally appropriate...
Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

In article , Tabby writes

Exactly.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

In message , Adrian Brentnall wrote

It appears that you may be able to download a utility from Epson

Reply to
Alan

I bought a colour laser printer in 2005 to replace an inkjet. In 2007 the cyan cartridge said it was low. We bought a new set of cartridges, costing nearly as much as the printer (but 3x the capacity of the originals).

As time went on the printer gave warnings of cyan empty and the other colours low/empty. I reset teh printer settings so it would still work with /empty/ cartridges.

Until about a month ago it still gave acceptable prints, despite the empty cartridges, the cyan indicating empty in 2008. Critical prints have been substandard recently but most others very acceptable.

On Thursday last I changed all the colour cartridges. Now I can see on the display what is happening rather than a permanent error message.

Soon I'll need a new black cartridge, I normally use a different laser for B/w.

I only need to switch on the printer and wait a minute for it to warm up before it prints.

The problems I had in previous years with inkjets were enormous, a single print often needed cleaning cycles or cartridge replacement. Now I just switch on and print.

Cartridges /are/ expensive, but the ones in should see me out, and work when needed.

The labour and cost of inkjets was much higher. Apart from the odd Quality photo (which is cheap on the internet) the laser wins hands down.

Skip any inkjet. You know it makes sense.

Reply to
<me9

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Zhang Dawei saying something like:

And won't get you Down.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon