Eluorescent Starter CE Marking

Err No .. they cause a fair old bit of interference on FM and DAB, there is a very good BBC research paper on the effects of these devices if you want me to look it up just ask...

Reply to
tony sayer

I'm not clear what you mean by 'they,' but a) most UKers didnt experience problems with fm interference in the 60s, 70s and

80s b) radio hams are more shortwave than uhf c) research always recommends spending more money on research

NT

Reply to
meow2222

My parents did - there was a radio ham a couple of houses up the road and he came through quite loudly on the HiFi speakers even when it was turned off! We didn't actually mind at all - heard all about his holidays, and what he was up to. One day my dad mentioned it to him and he was very concerned, but said we wouldn't be able to understand it as it was all single side band. So we told him about his holidays... (it did sound somewhat donald-duck-like). He rushed round with a large box of ferrite cores and wound all the speaker leads, mains leads, etc through them, and it helped a lot, but still some slight break-though. We didn't actually mind at all, but if we had complained, it could have caused problems for the planning permission for his aerial, which had to be renewed every

5 years.

One neighbour did always complain, but that was about the look of it, not interference. He was then required to take the aerial down when not in use. The aerial was just a long wire, held up by a tall mast and guy ropes. So he replaced the wire with a string and pullies to pull the wire over the mast when in use, and pull a draw-string back over the mast when not in use. It didn't look any different either way, but it met the new planning regs!

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

PLA devices...

Interference to what or to whom?. If this relates to PLA's they weren't around then;!...

Not necessarily, more like the other way around in the UK I'd expect.. I'm not one BTW...

Well this is about the first bit of serious research that has been done in the UK relating to the VHF bands. Some has been done elsewhere.

It does demonstrate an increased "noise floor"...

Reply to
tony sayer

In article , Andrew Gabriel scribeth thus

Most all of that is accidental demodulation caused by semi conducting devices responding to signals they should not respond to. Its now for most equipment a thing of the past owing to better EMC awareness. It can be demonstrated by placing an operating mobile phone next to such as a speakerphone or a computer speaker where the distinctive buzzing of the QAM signal will be heard....

Yes I have seen more then the one case of ""~interference~"" even when the mains hadn't been connected to the new site let alone any equipment installed;!...

Reply to
tony sayer

Sorry but what does the use of power line adaptors have to do with this?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Indeed. As many people have pointed out the new restrictions on fracking will halt it if it causes more than a 0.5 Richter scale seismic event.

There are over a dozen earthquakes of Richter scale 2+ in the UK every year :-)

Gonna be hard to prove..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In article , snipped-for-privacy@care2.com scribeth thus

This above or below or elsewhere or the definition of PLA's or the effects of same?..

Reply to
tony sayer

My question is what does the use of power line adaptors have to do with the valuelessness of CE marking.

Reply to
meow2222

Soz missed that bit . Still CE marking is just that a mark that means f*ck all....

Reply to
tony sayer