Eluorescent Starter CE Marking

I bought a pack of two of these from my village hardware shop a few weeks ago and both have failed. No big deal costwise but it is an agravation to change them. I noticed that neither the packing or the starters were CE or BS marked. I had thought that this was a legal requirement in the UK. Googling confirms this so wondered if it was actually legal to sell them in the UK. I assume it is too trivial a matter for Trading Standards to be interested. Constructive observations welcomed.

Reply to
Peter Crosland

Forget starters and get a high frequency electronic ballast. I haven't looked back since I posted the thread below in 2010 and the light works every time.

Part Timer

Also

if you want instant start (with a slight womfff noise from the fitting)

alan

g)

tiem I got fed up with starters I just replaced it with a switch & small capacitor.

NT

Reply to
NT

helpful and I have ordered some. Many thanks. If anyone has any comments on the original question I would still be interested.

Reply to
Peter Crosland

I don't think its too trivial, as they are always interested in dodgy electrical items. Finding the originators of these might lead to finding the source of something more lethal, after all.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Certainly a fluoro starter should be CE marked especially as it's likely to be very prone to emission problems.

Could it be that your local "four candles" hardware shop has split say, a CE marked trade pack and used his own local labelling for your brace of starters?

In any case Trading Standards ought to be involved.

If they don't seem to be interested try contacting (I'd never heard of them until a few moments ago) the "Trading Standards Institute" -

-

Reply to
Frank Erskine

I think it's the responsibility of the manufacturer, or if manufactured outside the EU, the responsibility of the importer to the EU.

The CE mark isn't any guarantee the product works.

Are you sure the starters were for the correct tube rating? Are these for long tubes in cold locations?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

indeed not. it stands for Chinese Export

Reply to
charles

Correct.

Nor of any particular quality.

The mark does not neccessarily have to be on the goods. If not, it must be on the packaging or documentation.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

And if it came from China, it's no proof of anything whatsoever.

Reply to
Huge

Not on the packing either. I spoke to TS and their answer was basically TS!

Reply to
Peter Crosland

Yes it is, it stands for "Chinese Export" :-)

Reply to
Peter Parry

*grin*
Reply to
Huge

It can, but that is not the same as CE, nor the same as CE, it's all in the length of the horizontal in the E and the separation between the C and the E

CE Mark

mark vs China Export

The Other Mike

Caveat Emptor is another one - "Let the buyer beware"...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Does CE marking matter much? I've spent much of my life buying goods with n= o CE markings, and I've not found it a problem in any way.

It reminds me of the US warnings against buying drugs from Canada, somethin= g along the lines of 'don't buy them because we can't guarantee they're saf= e.' Well, who cares if its the US or CDN legal framework that oversees thei= r safety. I don't think a CE mark guarantees the consumer much of anything.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

But would you have necessarily noticed a problem? A classic issue is EMC: often a non-compliant product (with inadequate filtering, or with the filtering components omitted) will appear to be working perfectly well to the end user - it's the poor radio amateur living next door who will be suffering!

Richard.

Richard Russell

I actually had thought that the Canada issues were things like bogus pharmacies, fake medicines, etc. rather than simply "different regulatory regime".

Reply to
polygonum

seldom an issue in practice. Radio hams are few nowadays, access to foreign info is 1000x easier and better by internet. And most hams did ok in the pre-filter days.

But my main point is that a CE sticker has not a whole lot to do with RFI filtering, safety, reliability, function or anything else. Anyone can and usually does mark their products 'CE.'

NT

Reply to
meow2222