starter pin

Is there a "set in stone" location for a starter pin in a router table base?

Reply to
Tim Taylor

No.

Reply to
CW

No, the ideal pin location is dependent on the size of the cutter and the work. On shaper tables or manufactured router tables they take a guess and generally put in two or three at roughly 2-3" distances from the spindle at one or more locations. Generally, of course, you want to feed into the cutter rotation and away from the initial end grain of the work. Where the best feed point is is also dependent on the shape being cut and the grain orientation.

Reply to
dpb

No, but I like mine fairly close to the cutter for the work I do.

Dave

Reply to
David

No, mine is set in MDF.

Reply to
lwasserm

In the hole.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

  1. Close enough to the bit so that the stock you're working on can contact both the pin and the bit's pilot bearing.
  2. Far enough away from the bit so that the bit doesn't strike the pin.

HTH ;-)

Reply to
Nova

Mine is in the drawer.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

HAHHHAHAH Stop it!!!! A million comedians out of work........ Thanks

Reply to
Tim Taylor

Again? Don't quit your day job! :-)

Don't have a hole yet, just made my plate. That's why I was wondering. But I will take you answer into consideration.

Reply to
Tim Taylor

Thanks for the answers everyone.

Reply to
Tim Taylor

Nope, I made a series of holes in my plate to suit the particular project.

Dave

Reply to
Teamcasa