Electronic timer for showjumping

Our local riding club held a couple of shows recently which involved hiring some timing equipment consisting of a light beam which was "broken" by the horse as it entered the jumping course, counting elapsed time during the jumping and breaking a light beam on exiting. It struck me that if we hold more than four or five shows a year with about £50 a time for hire and transport charges there was a good chance that it would soon be cost effective to set up our own kit. The commercial units seem to operate with a retro reflective Tx/Rx and a reflector for it to bounce off (about 10 metres max away) and a timer which starts from one impulse and stops from the other. I've Googled around a bit but met with the usual information overload from mostly foreign sites. Is anyone in this newsgroup clued up on costs and availability for this kind of kit, operable from a car battery or similar

John

Reply to
John

Not sure if it is any use to you, but you could do what you require with a basic plc:

£70. If you like pain you can program it from the front panel, otherwise the software is free:

the download cable is about £20. The software lets you write a program and simulate it without the hardware, so you could have a play and see how you get on with no outlay.

I don't have any experience with photoelectrics but one of these should do the job:

'll find more options at places like
and

Pitfalls to watch out for are whether any level interfacing is required between photoelectrics and PLC, and what accuracy you require.

HTH,

Chris

Reply to
Chris