"Electrocuted to death"

semi-literate, imbeciles.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

What's wrong with electrocuted to death?

I suppose it could be electrocuted until dead.

Reply to
soup

electrocution is execution by electricity and implies death already

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Electrified, if that doesn't sound a bit flippant. Simply shocked to death is perfectly acceptable.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Well my dictionary defines electrocute as "kill by electricity" - so, if you ain't dead you ain't electrocuted. "Electrocute to death" is therefore a tautology.

Reply to
Roger Mills

En el artículo , The Natural Philosopher escribió:

I'd understood electrocuti Definition of electrocute verb [with object]: injure or kill (someone) by electric shock: 'a man was electrocuted on the rail track'

Note the 'or'.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Perhaps the etymology is more explicit than current-day definitions?

electrocute (v.) "execute by electricity," 1889, American English, from electro- + back half of execute. The method first was used Aug. 6, 1890, in New York state, on William Kemmler, convicted of the murder of his common-law wife. Sense involving accidental death is first recorded

1909. Electric chair is also first recorded 1889, which is when the first one was introduced in New York state as a humane alternative to hanging. Related: Electrocuted; electrocuting.

(n.) Look up electrocution at Dictionary.com 1890; see electrocute + -ion. Meaning "any death by electricity" is from 1940.

can imagine that some lazy, ignorant, sensationationalist journalist(s) used the word in non-fatal cases. The OED (as it says it does) simply recorded its usage. And that has been used to backup its non-fatal usage ever since.

Also:

polygonum

It all depends on what you mean by electrocuted I suppose. Its a funny old term. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I seem to recall that the term came into common use as a portmanteau of the words electric and execute around the time of the "war of the currents" in the US.

I have always felt it should only ever be used for fatal electric shocks.

Reply to
John Rumm

In article , Grimly Curmudgeon writes

To me, 'electrified' means the same as 'energised' - i.e. it's live.

Or to describe something which has been converted to work on electrical power - 'the water pump is now electrified'

Or to describe something particularly gripping - 'the movie was electrifying'

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Indeed. Electrocution may indeed be a method of execution, but so are hanging and shooting. None necessarily has a fatal outcome: you can be electrocuted, hanged or shot, but survive.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

But not neccassarily in that order, so is there another word when you get a= shock from electricity (and I don't mean the prices) but don't die. I thought it was 'ok' to be electrocuted and not die from it.

Reply to
whisky-dave

That's like saying 'fatally shot' and not die from it.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

So why does one headline read.....

"Contractor killed after being electrocuted in Marks and Spencer store"

why mention being killed. or what is the term when you grab hold of say the live wire and you jerk around a bit or get flung over the other side of the room but survive, is it that you've just recived an electric shock ? I wonder if you can be brought back to life after being electrocuted or is that an oxymoron :)

Reply to
whisky-dave

in which case it wasn't an execution...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Because it was written by a sub editor with the intellect of a sausage?

I would say so.

I suppose in the sense that one can be clinically dead and revived, then you might argue yes. Although in that case it would probably be incorrect to use the term electrocution in the first place, since execution typically denotes a certain amount of finality.

Reply to
John Rumm

Marks and Sparks, eh?

Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

Language, and its use, changes. Get over it.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Unfortunately all modern dictionaries take the wimpy way and just record usage, rather than attempt to define a correct meaning. Which might be reasonable if they confined citation to the careful and literate, but they feel the need to be democratic and give weight to the babbling of the ignorant. And thus our language slowly turns to mush.

Reply to
djc

Yes, from you, that's expected.

Reply to