Real DIY - Man digs underground tunnel from his house to shed so he can avoid the rain

Man digs underground tunnel from his house to shed so he can avoid the rain

An inventor has spent two years digging a three metre deep, 12 metre long tunnel under his garden just so he won?t get wet walking to his shed.

The bizarre project, designed to connect his shed to his house, is the brainchild of inventor and YouTuber Colin Furze.

He has worked on the remarkable back-breaking project for months removing an astonishing three-and-a-half tonnes of rubble a day.

The 42-year-old, whose digging videos have each attracted more than six million views, has now finally connected the tunnel to his house in Lincolnshire and says it one of the most enjoyable projects he has ever done.

He said: ?It?s been one of the most talked about projects on my channel.

?It? a very cool project, everyone likes the idea of digging tunnels?, said Colin.

?I do the projects that people really want to do but don?t have the time or money to actually make happen..

He was savagely beaten by an attacker who was not identified ?I?m very lucky as it?s quicker to open my back door and walk to my shed, but it?s much more fun to use an underground tunnel and it means you don?t get wet if it?s raining.?

Colin started the tunnel under his shed floor in November 2018 and it took him around a year to dig down to three-and-a-half metres deep, working on it when his neighbours were out so it wasn?t too noisy.

He used a shovel and a bucket with a pulley system to hoist the rubble out of the hole as it got deeper.

He re-started the tunnel in March last year, using hydraulics to dig sideways through the earth and rock and aided by his mates Rick Simpson and Tom Lamb.

As the tunnel got longer Colin even built a small mine cart and track to help transport the rubble out of the hole.

He explained: ?We had to dig the whole thing by hand as the tunnel goes underneath the foundations of my shed, garage and house.

?It was very hard work but also one of the most enjoyable things I have ever done.

?We wanted to keep the noise down for my neighbours so used a shovel and hydraulics, which were really quiet.?

The tunnel, which is 1.2 metres wide and two metres high and comes up in a cupboard in Colin?s kitchen, has been reinforced with steel and concrete.

Colin, who is renowned for his inventions, including the world?s fastest mobility scooter and a drivable hot tub car, added: ?It?s very spacious in the tunnel, everyone who visits wants to try it out.?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Unbroken link:

Get a better NG agent Jethro. :)

Reply to
GB

The channel:

John Rumm

I think you have collected some text from a different article there!

Unless it is someone who hates tunnels!

Reply to
John Rumm

I can't remember why I settled on Pan. But it was the least-s**te option a few years back.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

You've broken the link again. :)

Get TBird.

Reply to
GB

Colin Furze undertakes some unbelievable projects but this is his most impressive. I thought his bunker would be his highlight but these tunnels have topped even that. He must have spent a fortune.

Reply to
Brian

A fascinating tale. He doesn't seem to let on how he has disposed of all the rubble.

Remembering Fred Dibnah's planning issue with his mineshaft, I wonder if there are any planning or building regs issues here?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

On BBC4 again last night :-)

He did say that his wife was worried that the house might fall into the hole (sloping land fron to back I believe) so he just carried on with it.

Reply to
Andrew

Luckily, he has a sponsor, but yes you can almost see the cash disappearing.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Secret pockets in his trouser legs and it trickles out when he goes for a walk.

I was hoping he isn't in an area prone to flooding.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

For all the spontaneous bravado you see in the vids, I get the impression that lots of regulatory paperwork goes on in the background. He is well aware that posting the stuff he does will open it up to massive scrutiny.

There is a channel run by Johnny Smith (Motoring journalist - ex Top Gear fame etc) called the Late Brake Show. They were doing a big expo where Colin was a guest with his Delorian, and was also interviewed. He spoke about the behind the scenes stuff including how he ended up needing a firearms license for one of the builds!

Parts 1 & 2

?v=6TMTEwOhjpQ&t=0s

Reply to
John Rumm

Well, he lives a few hundred yards from a road called waterfurlong, but he's uphill from there ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I wish he'd say 'opportunity' instead of 'opportuny.'

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

It is amazing how much crap will fit into a wheelie bin collected every fortnight.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Could be worse, when you have to spell out your domain on your radio adverts, you know you should have called your company something different

Andy Burns

I put a couple of pieces of pre-cast concrete curb edge, found buried in the garden behind the shed, in mine last week.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

All I know is TBird really pissed me off way back when.

Maybe someone could fix Pan instead ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

But it says he was taking out 3.5 tonnes a day. Even the thought of that makes me want to lie down.

Reply to
newshound

TBird is really *ing me off at the moment.

I always mark groups as "show threads - unread" and on 2 of my groups - this is one of them - it then shows nothing.

I can only only tell it "show threads with unread" and then it shows me the read bit of the thread too.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris