Electricians and plastering

HI All

Just had a quote for some wall lights to be fitted but the electrician says it's up to us to get the wall replastered where he has run in channels for the cable. Is this normal or should most sparks do a bit of basic plastering also to make good their work? First time I've come across this so would welcome opinions...

Cheers

Reply to
oldskoolskater

It will depend on the sparks. Also have seen the quality of some sparks plastering you may be better off DIYing!

Reply to
John Rumm

Not sure this helps but we replaced hot-air heating with a CHS recently, the plumbers we had in also did plastering to block up vent holes. They didn't do a great job (better than I could've done though), so with hindsight I probably would've got a plasterer in to do it in conjunction with other stuff I needed. Took a fair bit of sanding to get it looking OK. :)

Cheers, JHat

Reply to
jghattersley

There's no law involved so simply find a sparks who will do both. If you can.

At least he told you this before starting work.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I agree with John. You may think that it's all part of the job (and with some, it will be) but some people just have not got any ability to plaster - me included :o)

John

Reply to
John

IME they normally rough fill the channels and leave you to do the final finish

Reply to
Stuart Noble

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 08:53:19 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@mailinator.com mused:

As I'm a spark I know what I say so anyone who feels the need to tell me I'm wrong feel free. ;)

I'll generally do little bits of patching and plastering but larger chases and\or when the surrounding plaster is not great I'll recommend someone else does it. I will also recommend someone else does it if I simply don't want to or don't have the time.

As others have said, some sparks are absolutely useless at anything other than wiring a plug so having them doing the plastering would be a bad idea.

Reply to
Lurch

After chasing channels in my walls I filled them with

from TLC . {I have a branch nearby and took the advice of their counter staff}.

The stuff is 'weird'. It seems to have the consistency of shaving foam and is very lightweight - but sticks like the proverbial .... .

It's very easy to smooth off with a plasters blade. On my first trial, I went into the 'Meldrew' ... I don't believe it! .. mode convinced that I'd been sold very expensive shaving foam ... but after minutes it had hardened and the channel was now a flush white streak down the wall. It took paint beautifully.

Now ... I won't start to channel a wall without pt(s) of this (IMHO) magic compound.

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

I have a plasterer who I call on for such jobs. I then give two prices for the job. One without plastering and one with plastering. I just add on the expected cost of the plasterer onto the first quote to get the second quote.

The OP has to pay someone (sparkie or plasterer it matters not) to make good the chases or be prepared to do some DIY.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Similar to Wickes Once or Screwfix One Strike. I wouldn't use anything else now, fills great big gaps, dries quick, hardly any sanding.

Thanks for the tip re TLC, that's a good price & I have a branch just up the road.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman