Electricians

Intestesting program on tv the other day (i think the Quest channel) about how electricity was discovered.

It started when they discovered 'Static Electricity', mid eighteenth century or so. And had entertainers they called 'electricians' who would come to your house, and produce a show of sparks and flashes, then take some handsome fee and go off again.

So 250 years later, not a lot's changed then.... :)

Reply to
john east

Yes while not uniteresting I was really amazed to here Galvani and Volta referred to as "electricians". :-)

Reply to
dave

I so wish that I had been able to watch that instead of somehow trying to imagine why someone would play about with frogs, etc., back in the days when being taught such things. From the crummy b&w pictures it was very difficult to appreciate what was really happening. And these experiments always seemed to be disconnected and, well, somehow random "what happens if?" moments - without a context that makes some sort of sense of it all.

Reply to
polygonum

> It might have been mentioned before:-)

Yep thats the program. The only thing missing is that shot of the electricians, rasping the air in through their teeth, scratching the stubble on their chin; and: " That's going to be a really big job, sir "...... :)

Reply to
john east

I think you'll find the problem is watching live tv which puts the wifi admin in a difficult legal position.

Reply to
Andrew

Same as every single free wifi system then?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

The only person in a legal position should be the end user.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Pretty well all homes have people who watch TV for much of the day and are fully licenced for TV use - does it not cover on-line use, just as a domestic licence does?

BTW, the rules have changed, you now need a licence for BBC catch-up , not just for live TV.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

But who is the end user ?

Reply to
whisky-dave

What about us? We suffered abuse trauma. Our Paul will have to have counseling. And extra beer.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright