electrical wire

Hi, I have always connected an electrical fitting with cable containing Neutral, Life and Earth; but today I tried to replace an electric fan but found that there are two separate cable two live and two neutral and each share a single earth. How would one connect this to an electrical fitting with only the usual Neutral, life and earth? Regards, Philip

Reply to
philip

You don't value your life much,how do manage to avoid the shock?

Its...Live,Nuetral & Earth, not Life.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Is this a bathroom fan with a run-on timer?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

You've opened a can of worms there Sire. I pointed out a spelling mistake on a recent thread, College instead of Collage; and got shot down in flames and told to go forth and urinate by aother poster!! [not the original poster I must add] Ah well...

Reply to
Grumpy owd man

Hah! you mean *Neutral* I'm allowed to mispell but those who concede to have the gift of spelling correctly usually end up mispelling a word or two themselves.

You included. :-)

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

It's not a spelling error. It is a typing error. Look at the relative positions of F and V on the keyboard.

As for the original question. I think you have what is called a loop in wirng situation. One of the cables brings power into the fan. The other cable takes it on to the next appliance. This avoids the need for splitting the cable in a junction box.

Connect all the brown wires into the live terminal, all the blue wires into the neutral terminal and all the stripey wires into the earth terminal and all will be well.

Speiling ad tipig erors espected

Reply to
dcbwhaley

You got shot down in flames because you pointed out the error to the wrong person. Now, let us take a look at your own spelling and grammar.

Reply to
Paul Herber

On my "F" key there's an ickle tactile thingie - none on the "V".

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Rule 6. Those who point out a spelling error or typo invariably make one themselves in that post.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

themselves in that post.

Hmm - I didn't see one their (sic!)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Rule 7. Make a deliberate mistake to see who's the first to jump on the bandwagon.

The OP spelt it right I could have easily spelled it that way. :-P however he did spell *seperate* wrong.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

That's a grandma error, not a spelling error.

Reply to
Graham

Rules apply to all - not just individuals.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It would be more apposite to call it Death, Neutral and Earth!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Getting away from the spelling / grammar flames....

Can you supply dome context to your question, is this a bathroom fan, desk fan or some other fan, all can have their own unique reasons to use more than the usual three wires.

Reply to
Jerry

IT sounds like you may be describing a ceiling fan?

If so, one set of wires will be for the light, the other for the fan.

You can either have two switches on the wall to control each part of the unit, or, if the unit has switches on it (usually pull cords) just connect the earth, both lives and both neutrals to the supply wiring in the ceiling.

You could also connect the lighting wires to the switched live, and the fan part to the permanent live, if this is available up there. I am not sure if this is permitted however, as then, the only way to isolate the fan part, will be via your main consumer unit, I am sure someone here will know the answer!

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

Quite right, Vrank. :o)