Electrical earthing question

The RCD would still not see the imbalance. Whether you would get the appearance of a functioning neutral via an alternative path (through earth, extraneous conductive parts included in the bonding etc will depend on the circumstances, soil conditions, how far from neighbours etc).

If there is no earth spike, no earthed metal connected via main bonding conductors, then you might get a truly disconnected and hence "floating" neutral at the main cutout.

No circuit will function, but all the earthed metalwork in the house will rise to mains potential. Hopefully you are in an equipotential zone that means you can't touch anything at real earth, and you won't notice!

Reply to
John Rumm

That's what we have, house totally reconfigured, rebuilt, rewired, re-plumbed. Apparently no bonding to pipework or metalwork is required by the regs (Changed recently, in the 2010s ?)

The incoming DNO cable connects to the house Earth to incoming Neutral at the DNO 100A fuse-point.

I can't see any evidence of a PME Earth cable on the pole that feeds us, but other poles along the road do.

Reply to
Mark Carver

All noted John but i rather doubt the mains incoming Neutral will go we're fed by what looks like a co-ax mains cable inner insulator and outer wire armouring least thats what it looked like what a digger went trough it when they had the road up!. So the suppliers earth and neutral are together unless it is a Two core armoured cable, anyone know different?..

cheers...

Reply to
tony sayer

Nope, it is armoured coaxial cable and the neutral will be pinned to earth somewhere. I have this and I also pinned it to 1.5 meters of buried copper pipe. Belt and braces...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher