Electric toothbrush recommendations?

I was told by Oral that it was down to EU regs but I haven't checked.

Reply to
bert

Thank you fort he suggestion but I would have preferred simply to carry on using the existing wall mounted charger - oral said the new models were not compatible.

Reply to
bert

On 12:09 8 Dec 2018, Reentrant snipped-for-privacy@invalid.org.uk> wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk:

I have the same Oral-B electric toothbrush but I prefer to use a non- electric one.

I never get the sense that an electric toothbrush is actually scrubbing. It kind of hums and vibrates but I get the feeling most of the scrubbing action is lost in the flexing of the bristles.

Everyone else in this thread seems to like electric toothbrushes, so perhaps it's just me.

Reply to
Pamela

My dentist certainly recommends using an electric toothbrush - no particular make though, so it's not because he's trying to sell them!

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

You're not supposed to be scrubbing your teeth, electric or no. The point is you get a lot more action with an electric one; the bristles are supposed to go *between* your teeth and clean out the bacterial detritus - the soft white stuff which if not cleared out turns into the hard white stuff the hygienist then chips off your teeth.

That's also why I use the tee-pees to brush between the teeth from time to time. You get a lot out that way.

Between the teeth is where most of the shit is - not *on* them.

Reply to
Tim Streater

We've Omron ones at the min, I like it, sort are sort of gentle and tingly. And under twenty quid.

I can't cope with Orab B any more, the adverts make me want to throw my telly through the window. Annoying AF and complete BS to boot.

And the Lidl ones we had packed in in a relatively short time.

Reply to
R D S

Well (as the original poster) that was roughly what I thought, but didn't say.

Some years ago I tried an electric toothbrush for a time but eventually abandoned it, and now guess it might have been thrown away. It was some well-known brand, perhaps Orab-B. It had a head which rotated through a small angle clockwise and anticlockwise at high speed but when the bristles touched any surface, including my teeth, I wasn't sure that there was any significant brushing action. But maybe just a few microns back and forth is all one needs - does anyone know how they really work and how effective just a small motion can be? The manufacturers clearly make a lot of money out of them, especially with the need for replacement brushes every month or two. So I was hoping to see independent evidence.

Reply to
Clive Page

As this is diy group try:

alan_m

On 19:17 11 Dec 2018, alan_m snipped-for-privacy@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

Crazy!

I'm surprised the toothbrush head didn't just swivel around the screw.

If there was a prize for the most useless suggestion then my vote goes for using a drill to twist a wire to tie two spanners together. :)

Reply to
Pamela

I was waiting for him to use it on his teeth.

Reply to
Max Demian

I havent read all the posts but to add another dimension I cannot use them as they `tickle` my gums to the point it is intolerable, there was one a few years back that I could use but havent a clue which brand it was so just do manual brushing. My wife uses electric and swears by them and has had various brands.

Reply to
ss

Do all electric toothbrushes require three phase supply or can some be operated with single phase?

Reply to
Scott

Mine is 25kV AC which I pick up from an overhead line suspended from the bathroom ceiling, using a head-worn pantograph. It does mean that I have to keep walking about, unfortunately.

Reply to
Tim Streater

All require at least three phases, generated from DC.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Oh? Mine are all fed by a private rotary converter that generates 100kV three phase from DC generated when I piss on the electrodes lying over the toilet rim.

Or in an emergency I have a hamster that I feed on methedrine and that produces enough power on his little hamster wheel

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

A heads up, pun unintentional...

Be careful with the cheap generic spares, they can slip off with frantic manual movement.

This morning I very almost badly skewered my nose with the sharp metal shaft of the busy end of my Braun Oral-B.

It's probably not out of possibility someone has been blinded in a similar way.

The brushes came from Lidl. They don't seat all the way down the shaft.

:-(

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

I have that problem with condoms :-((

Reply to
Andy Bennet

Those brushes are bloody tight - too tight for Lidl's shaft and rather tight on Oral-B. I needed 2 hands to get one head on and pliers to remove it. They're supposed to be compatible with Oral-B - they're not so with Lidl!

Reply to
PeterC

I have never been clear as to how you deliver three phases by pantograph. I believe at one time there were three phase locomotives but how would you prevent part of the pantograph shorting two of the catenary wires, especially on curves?

Back with tooth brushes, how does the inductive charger work? I thought it was a form of transformer, requiring AC, but the battery must require DC to charge.

Reply to
Scott

Diodes exist.

Reply to