Electric Shower

Friend with only and immersion heater to heat the DHW is seeking advice about an electric shower. I have offered to do the pipework but he will need an electrician.

Which shower unit is viewed by the experts as being a particularly good one?

Reply to
John

"Electric shower" as in electrially heated rather than pumped I take it?

If so then the answer is that none of them are particaulrly good from a showering point of view (too little flow rate - especially when the incoming water is cold in the winter).

As to brand, to an extent any are probably good enough. The Triton and Mira brands will offer better spares and after sales than many, however the replacement cost is low enough in many cases this matters less. The major cost of installing a new electric shower is laying on the electrical supply for it. Depending on where you are starting from this can run into several hundreds.

Reply to
John Rumm

You'd do much better to use a mixer shower run off the tanked hot water than an electric shower. Perhaps thats what you meant anyway.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

snipped

snipped

Eh.?

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

No more Wickes in Scotland, or not any part that I can reach anyway - I think I saw one distantly through a coach window while we were visiting Edinburgh last year. 3~4 hours each way is effectively non-existant. Shame - I much preferred the attitude and service at Wickes, but now it's a choice of a B+Q barn or searching out 32 different shops for each type of supply needed.

Reply to
Aidan Karley

It's worth noting, however, that any money saved by using a more cost-effective form of water heating is more than offset by the increased flow rate of a good power shower. The luxury comes at a price.

I'm quite happy with the flow rate from my electric shower, and the overall experience is much better than several rather indifferent power showers I've had the misfortune to use. I particularly dislike the ones where the controls are situated in the shower cubicle in such a way that you are almost guaranteed to knock into them, or where the temperature and flow controls operate in some mathematically chaotic region so that it takes ages to adjust them to my satisfaction.

Having said that, the most satisfying shower I've ever used was in a hotel in Birmingham. Phenomenal flow rate, but not much good for the environment. I probably used 3 times as much water as if I'd taken a bath!

Reply to
Pyriform

Yeah .I can see the problem .Perth,Inverness or Dundee would be a bit of a trek I suppose .

Reply to
Stuart

On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 17:30:46 GMT someone who may be "John" wrote this:-

Assuming a gravity shower would suffer from too low a head, why not consider a venturi shower? No wiring in either case.

Reply to
David Hansen