Electric shower - repair or replace?

Time to check out previous threads then, or look at making one. This is uk diy.

yawn

I have, and the cost was in the region of £45 for copper pipe & microbore . But keep bsing.

those first 2 aren't the claims I made of course.

plan uses 2 of them.

pipe cleaner.

anyone with a single brain cell can go see what copper pipe costs. It ain't expensive. It is a subject I read up on years ago, diyers have done an ass ortment of designs and reported their results. You could go read up or be a wally. I don't care. Why you imagine I must do your searching I've no idea .

only ballpark, which is good enough to show they pay back well.

one called Tim.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

The thread was real;-)

It was about doing away with an 3kW immersion heater and using the old immersion supply to power a 3kW shower that "was as good" as a 7kW shower with the use of a magical waste heat exchanger.

The same bloke that sells the heat waste exchanger also sells magic beans that grow into a massive beanstalk that you can climb and where you will find a castle with giants!

Reply to
ARW

At £45 DIY is the only option. Not something you made clear at the beginning.

True though.

What's the payback period on a pre-fabricated horizontal heat exchanger then?

Um, so now you ARE admitting that it's DIY or nothing?

That doesn't seem to stop you recommending them at every opportunity though.

I don't have to do anything as I'm not the twonk pretending to be an expert on the subject. You however are very quick to tell everyone how wonderful these are at every opportunity despite never having built, fitted or long term tested one.

I think most rational folk will realise which of us is spouting the most bullshit.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

bore. But keep bsing.

ig pipe cleaner.

enjoy wasting your time. Unlike you I spent a good deal of time looking int o things like this when putting plans together for a new build. I couldn't give a hoot if you go read up or don't on this stuff.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr
[133 lines snipped]

Really? 133 lines of quoted cr@p for 2 lines of response? FFS.

Reply to
Huge

Yeah, "new build". That makes all the difference though, doesn't it? Because, in practice a retro-fit is rarely going to be possible or economic, a factor you seem to ignore in every response to electric shower problems that you make.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

if installing a vertical one yes, for horizontal ground floor ones it chang es layout details, but still all doable.

how come? I can get to the necessary plumbing under my bath & it's pretty s tandard. I can also retile the strip from bath to shower no problem. What d o you think is not possible?

nonsense, this has been discussed. I wouldn't consider it if on-paper figur es showed it not economic.

You seem very convinced of your position/opinion despite being unable to es tablish it factually. Of course it would be easier if I had all the links t o what I read, but it appears I don't, did not consider it at the time to b e of any necessity. If you do the rounds of alternative building forums & s ites you'll find various waste waster heat recovery schemes, tried & untrie d, with measurements & discussions. There are a variety of ways to do it, a ll with their pros & cons.

One that sticks in my mind as interesting but not really usable was a hoses in barrel type. 2 hoses of the necessary diameter wound around the contain er, immersed in the water therein, spaced to permit water movement. Waste w ater travelled top to bottom, fresh bottom to top. Barrel water stratified. The result is that outgoing heat from all sources is stored for later tran sfer to incoming DHW feed. It can all be stereilised now & then with an imm ersion heater, but keeping water in the 20-60C danger zone did not appeal, nor did a bucket of such water vented to the house interior.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

It certainly would be easier. That way we would know that you are not making it up and talking just bollocks

Reply to
ARW

In the last 40 years I have lived in 9 different houses. It would not have been possible to fit an under-bath heat exchanger and to reroute the electric shower cold supply without rebuilding the bathroom. Just because it is possible for *you* (but you can't be bothered) doesn't make it easy for everyone else.

Yeah, you've considered it but not done it...

You are so far into the realms of fantasy now I know you are just trolling.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I didn't propose that as the 'logic.' Underbath access is doable, normally, and there is normally room for the twin tube. Connection to waste can be done by withdrawing the existing waste, connecting the DHE to it & sliding it back. Running 2 cold pipes up from under the bath to the shower is usually practical, as long as you're willing to do a spot of retiling. Again you claim it's impossible yet are unwilling/unable to state where you think the big problem is.

I see you have less ability to figure things out than I thought

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

FFS the OP has a shagged electric shower.

Reply to
ARW

Indeed. He's too busy riding his hobby horse to remember what the original problem was.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Unlike you, I can figure out that this is *not* the solution to the OP's problem.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I didn't claim it was. But keep on with the silliness

Reply to
tabbypurr

the thread has long since moved on to DHEs. Even you have surely noticed that

Reply to
tabbypurr

I think you're the only one who wants to rabbit on about them, irrespective of their relevance to anyone's problem.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Can a DHE fix a f***ed electric shower?

Reply to
ARW

You spent as long on it as I did.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Adrian Caspersz

heh. You so often get 2 of them arguing it out, as we have. I'd be happier if fact & logic were more forthcoming to underpin the position put forth.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr