Electric shower - repair or replace?

I suspect this info is nearer the mark.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

For those averse to clicking links...

Is it worth retrofitting a WWHRS? In some cases retrofitting may be possible, but the bulk and length of the recovery device means that most showers or baths wouldn?t be suitable. It is much easier to get it installed when you are fitting a new bathroom.

How much do they cost? They typically start at around £600 + installation. So you are looking at over a £1,000 to get a unit in your home.

Are they worth it? Many installers cite WWHRS?s as a means to get a new home up to the Sustainable Homes code, rather than a means to save money, although you certainly will save some cash by using one, the payback period is not worthwhile.

A typical saving on an average home might be £20-30 a year. So the payback time is around 40 years typically. Of course, if you use a lot of hot water, it can begin to look a bit more attractive.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

The similar Reco-vert costs £470...

Too much to pay, but a good idea otherwise. I'm not convinced it would work well with a normal 'open loop' electric shower where you control the temperature by manually adjusting the flow rate, as I think temperature fluctuations as it warms up and as you take a piss would mean constant fiddling with your knob.

Cheers

Reply to
Syd Rumpo

There are no ads on that page, and no price for the 'shru' either. But hey

I gave you a link to the thread that covered it. You can do the rest yourse lf if you wish to.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

That design is what I was considering to retrofit. But their figures/commen ts are a bit barmy.

In fact a pair of 5 footers fits under most baths no problem.

What fool would pay a plumber £600 to wind some microbore round a bit of copper waste?

A 50% saving on the hot water used here certainly exceeds that

silly figures. But this has all been covered before.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

That link is as useless in information content now as it was then.

You're the fool who pipes up with the suggestion every time but never answers questions about costs and practicality of retrofitting.

So either you're riding your hobby horse or you want to give useful advice. Which is it?

Do tell us where can we rush out and buy this marvellous unit for £45 if it's the latter.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

You're presumably referring to the mythical efficient horizontal heat exchanger that you can buy for £45?

So are you now admitting that the economics of buying one don't add up? Basically "knit your own" or don't bother?

How many have you knitted yourself and fitted?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

No, but searching for "megaflo shru" leads to this page

where there *is* an advert (for EPCs from £45)

Reply to
Andy Burns

OK, how about using the shower water afterwards to wash clothes ..

"Washit"

Adrian Caspersz

From what I recall of the discussion.... the commercial version is intended to fit vertically. Horizontal, home brew tucked under a bath might overcome problems with an inadequately powered electric shower... which was where the thread started.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I'd say it was about right.

Reply to
David Lang

Might, maybe. The problem with a horizontal exchanger is that you will get bulk flow down the middle rather than a thin film of water passing over the whole surface of the heat exchanger (as you would get in a large bore vertical exchanger). This will degrade performance.

Add to that the need to make it accessible for regular de-gunging to remove hair/snot/grease/soap & biofilms. Of course vertical ones will also need periodic cleaning but a straight tube design makes this easier.

I wouldn't mind Kittylitter making his repeated suggestion if he added the following riders:

1) It's theoretically a good idea 2) The economics rule out ready made units unless you really don't mind silly payback timescales 3) I have never bought one 4) I have never fitted one 5) I have never built one 6) I have no idea how efficient a homemade horizontal heat exchanger would be 7) Retro-fitting an efficient vertical one is almost a non-starter unless you're *very* lucky with the layout of your house.

Other than that, I think they're a brilliant idea.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Would you not get a bit wrinkly after 4 years? I'm usually in and out in 5 minutes. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Based on previous experience I expect at least 20 years out of my new Gainsborough (£35) :-)

Reply to
stuart noble

In message , stuart noble writes

My wife's tenants were getting about 6 months out of an Aqualisa Quartz. Very hard water area and family of shower fetishists!

If anyone wants a couple of *shower engines* for de-coking trials, they are taking up space in my garage.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

which is of no relevance whatsoever. Wonderful.

Reply to
tabbypurr

The relevance is that that *is* where the "mythical" price originally came from, the banner advert rotates between the megaflo device and something else for £45, and I remembered the £45 figure last time these devices [which apparently nobody has] were discussed, but later realised I'd not paid enough attention ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I've addressed both in previous threads

IIRC 3 different sellers were discussed, 2 of which were well designed with twinwalled exchangers. No it turns out I didn't keep the links. You can do your own googling, or not, I'm not losing sleep over it!

they're not so efficient when horizontal, and not mythical. You've been tol d that before but apparently want others to do your leg work. I CBA.

On the contrary

None, as I've said before. You also have fitted none. We all here have fitt ed none AFAIK. But I think we knew that some time ago.

Yes, producing film flow - but fast flow. Horizontally you get much poorer flow pattern but also many times as long retention time. And my plan uses 2 of them.

Yes, my twin job with compression U bend addresses that. I figure 50p - £

1 of soda a year plus the occasional clean with a big pipe cleaner.

silly payback timescales

we know that's not so.

none of us have

The plan was to fit them horizontally to achieve low flow rate and high fil l level - and if necessary tweak slope slightly afterwards. If you think it would be advantgeous you could add some side dents for some turbulence.

you're *very* lucky with the layout of your house.

as I've said more than once

The expected payback %age makes them a no brainer. But as always there are more pressing things to do! Otherwise I'd have fitted one years ago.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Either you have a price to quote of some 40mm copper & microbore or not. I did cost it a while back, but can't find anything on the HDD.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I *have* googled. This is why I use he term "mythical" with some confidence.

But that doesn't seem to stop you presenting fiction as facts.

Well given that I *have* looked up some prices and you haven't doesn't strengthen your case.

I'm not the one telling all and sundry what a brilliant idea they are, how easy they are to install and maintain and how cost effective they are based on no experience of domestic units.

The one you haven't built or fitted.

Know? Given you don't know the prices of ready made units or efficiency of a home knitted one how can you know? Definite whiff of bovine ordure in the air.

So you don't know.

Funny sort of "no brainer" then.

Tim

Reply to