Electric/Electronic

Is it just me but does it upset anyone else when something that functions elctrically is called elctronic?

Reply to
fred

INJY

N.

Reply to
Nick Odell

Actually wires conduct electronically. Valves lead to the meaning of electronic as involving free electrons. Transistors have "holes" as well as electrons (but I don't understand them). Electrolysis is non-electronic as it involves positive and negative ions so batteries are non-electronic apart from the terminals.

I think some kettles were sold as electronic as they had a chip that did something or other, and, of course, modern toasters use a 555 or similar chip for timing so they can be called electronic.

Reply to
Max Demian

Our toaster (Dualit) is clockwork!

Reply to
Bob Eager

One definition of electronic: "relating to electrons".

So anything conveying a current, or potential is "electronic".

Does it matter?

Reply to
Fredxx

Most of chemistry is down to electrons.

Reply to
Clive Arthur

How does it produce the heat to toast the bread?

I have heard of clockwork radios, though. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Is this a wind up? :-)

Reply to
SH

Most chemists know that material properties are down the quantised energy states of electrons.

Protons, apart from their number, exert very little influence on material properties.

Reply to
Fredxx

Ours has begun to run slow intermittently:-( Brown toast often black!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Only one exchange into the discussion and you resort to personal abuse.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

They are. You pay silly money for a mechanism that runs a very short time. If you do buy one, be sure to get the solar panel version, crank only just isn't worth using.

Reply to
Animal

Mine used to run for an hour.

These days I have a Bosch workman's radio that uses the 18v rechargeables.

Reply to
Bob Eager

No it isn't. It's not abuse. Abuse is calling someone a f****it or whatever, like you do.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

The best toaster ever mad is over 80 years old.

Jethro_uk

Any post made by Woddles is abuse, by definition.

Reply to
Tim Streater

You seem to conflate with abuse you give, and abuse you receive. At no time in this thread has Bill directed any abuse towards you.

You seem to have big chip on your shoulder or perhaps a snowflake after all. Best grow some.

Reply to
Fredxx

You can (and should) remove, clean and regrease the timer. It's not a difficult job; There are instructions on the interweb. I am a bit twitchy about our Dualit now; the timer 'stuck' and the heat damaged a cupboard door (which admittedly it shouldn't really be situated under).

Reply to
jkn

I used to have one which had a thermal timer based on the heating and cooling of a bimetallic strip. This had the advantage that if you put a second slice in after the first it toasted the second for a shorter time

- needed as the element is already hot.

I bought it for £10.50 in 1975 and it lasted until 2005 or so. Replaced with one for £5 (electronic timer) which I still have.

Reply to
Max Demian

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt."

Reply to
Clive Arthur