Electric car energy measurements.

Throw it into the air. As soon as it leaves your hand it'll be weightless until it hits the ground. (Ignoring drag caused by the air.)

Reply to
Clive Arthur

It's not weightless if you watch it.

Reply to
Robin

I think it?s journalistic bollocks. They?re quoting a range of prices per minute which has probably been derived from the actual charge rate (which varies), no doubt working on the basis that their readership wouldn?t understand kWhrs.

It makes no sense otherwise.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Close your eyes then. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

No ta - might get hit on the head by it

Reply to
Robin

But they will come. There weren't any standards when ICE cars first appeared, either.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

My car tells me the average MPG. And on checking, it's accurate.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Knowing what your average MPG is can tell you if things are going wrong.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

There are standards. ?Granny lead charging?, 2KW. Home rapid charging

7kW. Three phase AC charging, 22 and 44 kW. DC charging, 50kW+

It?s pointless defining cars simply by the time taken to charge as even with those ?standard? chargers, charging rate will vary depending on ambient temperature, battery charge level, battery temperature, adequacy of supply to charger etc. etc..

Every EV owner knows their battery capacity in kWhrs and usually the maximum charge speed possible (although not always attained) via the on board charging systems and battery management.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

There are standard plugs/etc. But what Paul is saying is that every car 'drinks' in a different way - some take big slurps to begin with, then immediately tail off. Some suck constantly until they get to 80% full and then fall off a cliff, etc etc. Hence 'miles per hour' is not a reliable measure of charge taken on, as it depends very much how much charge you started with, as well as your particular car, temperature etc etc, as to how quickly it will 'drink' when plugged in.

With ICE cars, the petrol pump sets the filling speed. With EVs, the car does.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Maybe so.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

My hernia was giving me grief. This might have affected my mood. A letter came from Surgical Appointments this afternoon. 'At last my time has come', I exalted! With trembling hands (made worse by Essential Tremor and made considerably more risky by the fact that I was carrying five eggs at the time) I ripped the letter open. Here are some extracts: "Thank you for your patience..." ?We know it can be frustrating?? ?While you are waiting?? ?We hope to treat you as soon as possible?? ?If you?ve had it done elsewhere please let us know??

Bill

Reply to
williamwright