Electric cable runs in attic

Guys, Do such cable runs require to be contained in trunking when in the attic? I have just installed some security lights which required quite a few cable runs. I neatly tacked the cables either at the side of the joists or on top of the joists (where no one will step). Is this acceptable according to the regulations?

Reply to
Kaiser Sose

That's usually acceptable. The main thing to watch is contact with or covering by loft insulation - polystyrene insulation can affect the cable sheath, and any insulation may mean the cables require derating.

1.5mm cable on a 6A circuit has loads spare capacity anyway.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

No, unless someone else knows different

Reply to
zaax

if crossing the joists unlikely to meet the support requirements unless your joists are very close together. You will find the details on the tlc-direct website if you look.

Jim A

Reply to
Jim Alexander

Just to add to this. If they cross an aerial cable, a gas or water pipe there needs to be protection to stop mechanical wear.

Reply to
zaax

Or indeed any other ELV cable such as telephone, network, .....

Reply to
Bob Eager

What sort of protection is required? I have some network cables under the floor and may be adding a couple of 2.5mm cables which will cross them. I suppose a small clearance loop is not good enough (?) but are we talking (say) threading a few inches of plastic conduit at the xover or something more substantial. Or is it just a problem in lofts where someone may step on it at the critical point?

Geo

Reply to
Geo

I use plastic conduit!

Reply to
Bob Eager

2" separation is usually considered adequate from an electrical safety point of view.

Owain

Reply to
Owain